Lunch by the Lake

Dynamic shots! Tri-X, Fomapan?
Thank you Geoff, especially for the thoughts to Fomapan being the stock- they're all digital monochrome from my Sigma SD15, with some minor editing on contrast etc.

Clearly my time shooting Fomapan has influenced my editing 😁.

Nice ones, Wes.

I guess you're probably shooting in raw (X3f) mode. If so, I'm curious about your work flow in the Sigma processing software. Do you do any actual processing in the SPP, or do you use it simply as a medium for deriving JPEGs from the X3f with the intent of post processing in some other software? Thanks.

Thanks Gary, mosses and lichens have long fascinated my eyes, textured and otherworldly.

Correct assumption Brian, I do shoot X3f files and often do the following:

Camera to SPP (v.5- the happiest version for my desktop to run-linux).

Adjust for WB setting; contrast; X3 Fill light; and green/magenta adjustment if it's colour depending on the scene. Exposure occasionally.

Save as .tiff (16 bit) same size. Double size interpolation of I want to crop.

Open in Rawtherapee and then user the auto-adjustment to find a baseline and then tweak from there.

The Rawtherapee adjustments are really less precision and more instinctive, so probably not worth waffling through, however I'll say the following observation on the SPP processing options:

The X3 Fill light option can't be replicates with the same functionality on these files outside photo pro, so I always do this if I need to adjust for under exposure here- shadows and highlights don't seem to kindly adjust in SPP.

You seem to get from the SD14/15 sensor about +1 stop of exposure and fill light adjustment with no degrading artifacts at ISO 50, and as with most comments on the Foveons pre Quattro, base ISO really is best.

Whew! Sorry if this was more than you wanted to know, appreciate being asked about the flow.

Thanks Gary, mosses and lichens have long fascinated my eyes, textured and otherworldly.

Correct assumption Brian, I do shoot X3f files and often do the following:

Camera to SPP (v.5- the happiest version for my desktop to run-linux).

Adjust for WB setting; contrast; X3 Fill light; and green/magenta adjustment if it's colour depending on the scene. Exposure occasionally.

Save as .tiff (16 bit) same size. Double size interpolation of I want to crop.

Open in Rawtherapee and then user the auto-adjustment to find a baseline and then tweak from there.

The Rawtherapee adjustments are really less precision and more instinctive, so probably not worth waffling through, however I'll say the following observation on the SPP processing options:

The X3 Fill light option can't be replicates with the same functionality on these files outside photo pro, so I always do this if I need to adjust for under exposure here- shadows and highlights don't seem to kindly adjust in SPP.

You seem to get from the SD14/15 sensor about +1 stop of exposure and fill light adjustment with no degrading artifacts at ISO 50, and as with most comments on the Foveons pre Quattro, base ISO really is best.

Whew! Sorry if this was more than you wanted to know, appreciate being asked about the flow.
Thanks Wes. I usually add fill light in SPP and export as TIFF. Then into Lightroom for further adjustments. Fill light is usually the only adjustment I do in SPP.

Thanks Wes. I usually add fill light in SPP and export as TIFF. Then into Lightroom for further adjustments. Fill light is usually the only adjustment I do in SPP.
Glad to see it's not just my experience on the fill light 😅. I've had some success with just editing in SPP, mostly if the image was IR or well exposed using the native glass- less so with vintage M42 lenses.

A couple more from today, this time closer to home as I managed to fight my way to my shed. A current and future project Shed Canned-1_edited.jpegShed Canned-5_edited.jpeg

Back