Manchester & Salford Quays

Tim Pindar

So, got back today from the photography trip to Manchester with wifey & my daughter for her A Level Photography project which is all about modern buildings lit up at night.

We found a good place to stay at Salford Quays - The Heart Apartments - literally next door to the new BBC place there which is known as Media City UK. Highly recommended, we rented a brand new 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment for only £100 a night for two nights. Much better than a hotel.

The weather was great so we two intrepid photographers spent a couple of enjoyable evenings taking shots of buildings, firstly at the Quays itself, and then in Manchester city centre.

In between we all had a nice time exploring the Lowry museum, which was superb, walking down Market Street (shops), catching a movie (The Hunger Games) and eating at the Hard Rock Cafe. Never thought I'd enjoy a trip to Manchester so much.

So to the photographs - these are all mine, hers are secreted away to be worked on at school. I didn't have use of the tripod so had to find ledges, litter bins, etc to sit the camera on to take evening shots. We timed it once again to get that perfect light after sunset before it gets properly dark, especially that magical 10 minutes when the sky is a dark rich blue, firstly in the east and then about half an hour later in the west.

My full set are on my website here, some are a bit small so use the slideshow option. Below are a few to sample.

Apartments (?) at Salford Quays

p867649502-4.jpg

The BBC buildings, our apartments were in the tall building behind it with the red band

p699380609-4.jpg

The Lowry (left) and the Imperial War Museum

p1055609672-4.jpg

Everywhere has a wheel these days

p800347297-4.jpg

And lastly, in the city centre, something a bit older

p449645213-4.jpg

Link to full set

Last edited:
Stunners - and to say you had to make do with a tripod these are even more remarkable

Loving the BBC shot particularly - those reflections are insane

Love that time of day - so many people pack up and go home when the sun sets!

Yes Pete, that was in the morning - taken from our rented apartment window, would you believe! Snatched the golden glow while it lasted, 10 minutes later it was gone.

Brilliant set Tim, Many people call Manchester yes it has rough parts so does every city, Maybe i am biased as its my home city but it has changed so much for the better over the last 10 years. Plenty of photo opportunities down at the quays aint there.

The bridge shot you took with the imperial war museum in the background, did you see that at night ?? It changes colour every few minutes its is quite impressive

Daz

Yes we did Darren. Colour changing is a simple technology but always effective.

I like the city centre too, especially the more characterful bit at the southern end of Deansgate. The Printworks was a fun place, too.

if i knew you was going i could have given you a guided tour ;)

Loving the orange and purple stairs - were they sponsored by FedEx? :D

Thanks Hamish. It was taken from our apartment window in the morning. The sun shone brightly for a few minutes and really glowed off the buildings. Then it was hazier and the moment had passed. So, a lot of luck.

Indeed. That one took little effort and required little PP.

I was much more pleased by the night shots, and really valued the money I spent on the L lens.

Back