Medieval Lute

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
My friend Bill made a medieval lute, and loaned it to me on Saturday. Thought I'd make a video. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it, and maybe one or two of you will also.

Rob I enjoy many types of music, especially acoustic sounds and these sounds are very enjoyable. Also like the video, how you positioned your self, the lighting on the instrument and the B+W. I did wonder what camera you used for the video?

Cheers, Julian. It's a 17-year old Sony HDC-SD60 - not an expensive camera, even then. But I do use Vega Movie Studio Lite, which has a great sharpening feature, and black and white tones.

Really beautiful Rob and very relaxing.. Lovely soft tone. I was wondering are you picking the strings with soft tip of fingers rather than using nail. Do lute players use nails?
Very nice quality video too, a welcome change from the dreadful stuff that permeates a lot of You Tube.
I envy the craftsmen that can make things as beautiful as these instruments.

Thanks, Tom. I don't play with the nails, just the flesh. Historically, the vast majority of lute players and guitarists (before the 20th-century) played with the flesh of the fingertip. The lute is a very quiet instrument, built to fill small rooms, not concert halls, and to force it with nails to get extra volume, just ruins its special voice. You will find some nail-playing lutenists these days, but most of them, if not all of them, have come to the lute via the classical guitar, which is almost exclusively played with nails.
Glad you like the video.
The lute maker, Bill Samson, is a member here @Bill Samson - but he has yet to post a fotie! Come on, Bill ;)

Back