Meditation on The Somme

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
It's the 100th anniversary of The Battle of The Somme today, and the BBC did a very moving piece this morning. It has affected my whole day. I had free morning, so took the DP0 and DP3 Quattros for a walk, all the while thinking about the tragedy one hundred years ago. Nothing I can come up with can speak for the loss of so many men, but it helped me, somehow.

1. The Fallen

Fallen.jpg

2. Nature

grass2.jpg

3. I can't think of a title for this, but it moves me more that the others:

leaves.jpg

4. My Pride And Free

My Pride and Free.jpg

5. Skull

scull.jpg

6. The Call

The Call.jpg

7. Nature 2

tomb.jpg

8. The Wall

wall.jpg

9. Lament

lament.jpg

Thanks, Brian. Susan is at a big service in town, with her mum, who is high up in the War Widows Association. Quite an event - I saw a little report on it on the TV.

Me grandad was there he was in fact part of the expeditionary forces the first ones to go over. He actually survived the war somehow to come home and then get blown up in a mining accident in Scotland and blinded. Nice reflection Rob and nice set of images

6c1452ce-621b-4534-8f73-aa7d3787583f.jpg 6c1452ce-621b-4534-8f73-aa7d3787583f.jpg d0f555a3-2a5c-4b89-a2c9-21b6d0bd43c1.jpg

Heres one of his christmas cards and his army wills he had to write when going over. If you look at the card in the bottom it says somewhere in france amazed he survived as so many lives were wasted.

A very moving set indeed...I purposely tried to avoid watching the telly or reading the newspapers about this "Anniversary" as I often feel they tend to glorify the whole thing, but I did catch a radio presentation when driving home from work which had me hooked from the very first minute...needless to say the tears were streaming down the face by the end...a sad, sad time in our history indeed...

Back