Meeting an old friend

Julian Tanase

It would appear that I became more sentimental, as the years go by. Or wherever the years go when they, well, go. Passing us by. Leaving without a trace, apart those showing on our skin, health and experiences of life. So yes, wherever they go, who could tell? We are left behind, with only our life stories, our failures and triumphs, our good or bad choices made in the past. And of course, if we are lucky enough, with a few old friends.

DSC_4031.jpg

One such friend is this beautiful Kodak Retinette 1B. It was my trusty companion for about 5 years, traveling with me everywhere I went in Europe and some other places. A silent companion, ever so matching almost anything I threw at her, delicate but resilient, unobtrusive but ever present. We were both younger than today, and those were carefree days, lots of film to be had, places to go, dreams to dream. So a few days ago I took this camera out of its place in the display and had a little chat, of the reminisce sort. We remembered places we visited, people we met, things we photographed, and the years that passed since.

And we laughed, oh how we laughed, when we remembered we were almost nicked in Farnborough, back in early 90s, taking shots so very near to a military facility (of course we didn’t know that at the time). Or that time when a fellow followed me for a good 10 minutes on a platform in Clapham Junction, begging me to sell it to him. Priceless moments reminisced, and a good chat.​

It would appear that I became more sentimental, as the years go by. Or wherever the years go when they, well, go. Passing us by. Leaving without a trace, apart those showing on our skin, health and experiences of life. So yes, wherever they go, who could tell? We are left behind, with only our life stories, our failures and triumphs, our good or bad choices made in the past. And of course, if we are lucky enough, with a few old friends.

View attachment 20001

One such friend is this beautiful Kodak Retinette 1B. It was my trusty companion for about 5 years, traveling with me everywhere I went in Europe and some other places. A silent companion, ever so matching almost anything I threw at her, delicate but resilient, unobtrusive but ever present. We were both younger than today, and those were carefree days, lots of film to be had, places to go, dreams to dream. So a few days ago I took this camera out of its place in the display and had a little chat, of the reminisce sort. We remembered places we visited, people we met, things we photographed, and the years that passed since.

And we laughed, oh how we laughed, when we remembered we were almost nicked in Farnborough, back in early 90s, taking shots so very near to a military facility (of course we didn’t know that at the time). Or that time when a fellow followed me for a good 10 minutes on a platform in Clapham Junction, begging me to sell it to him. Priceless moments reminisced, and a good chat.​
This is almost an ode,...a paean,...to your old friend. Very cool. I like the picture, too.

Back