Critique Welcomed Meg Doing A Cartwheel

Brian Moore

I wish I could remember what camera I used to get this picture. I'm guessing I snapped it sometime around the year 2. Meg is 28 now and in this image she's about 6,...which helps me hone in on the approximate year. I think it might have been an early phone camera that I used.

At 6 or 7 Meg was the greatest practitioner of the cartwheel anyone on this side of the Atlantic had ever seen. Indeed, at times she used cartwheels as a means of conveying herself up and down the street with her little friends.

This shot is from a holiday we had in Scotland, however. In the back garden of my in-laws council house. It was about dusk and just prior to teatime, so a few final cartwheels on the grass were required.

I've always found the luminance of the colors in this image quite special, and I particularly cherish the apparent stillness of that left foot, caught, I guess, at the apex of its revolution. And of course the image serves as documentary record of a little girl especially skilled in an uncommon discipline.

I've always found the luminance of the colors in this image quite special, and I particularly cherish the apparent stillness of that left foot, caught, I guess, at the apex of its revolution. And of course the image serves as documentary record of a little girl especially skilled in an uncommon discipline.

Wonderful! Vivid colours, strong movement (frozen foot included) 👍

Magnificent! The whole scene is celebrating the joy of a young girl enjoying life. The photographer is also joining in!
Thanks Rob. I think I’m going to bring this photo into Photoshop and upscale it and print it. New title: The Kilbarchan Kartwheel.

Brian, After seeing this photo I spent the next hour or so going back through my photos of my daughter as she rode her big wheel or danced in her tutu and ballet slippers (2004/5). I also came across the photos of the moment she unwrapped a birthday present and it was Angelina Ballerina. That little mouseling was her constant companion for a long time. I may watch one of those DVD's for old times sake.:) Yes! Print it. I have white magnetic display panels with storage bin attached to our bedroom doors. I print and post various shots from times passed. Recently our beloved family pet, a15 year old miniature poodle, reached her end of life. I've been printing various photos of her and display them on the door. It has helped with our grief. I love photography.

I wish I could remember what camera I used to get this picture. I'm guessing I snapped it sometime around the year 2. Meg is 28 now and in this image she's about 6,...which helps me hone in on the approximate year. I think it might have been an early phone camera that I used.

At 6 or 7 Meg was the greatest practitioner of the cartwheel anyone on this side of the Atlantic had ever seen. Indeed, at times she used cartwheels as a means of conveying herself up and down the street with her little friends.

This shot is from a holiday we had in Scotland, however. In the back garden of my in-laws council house. It was about dusk and just prior to teatime, so a few final cartwheels on the grass were required.

I find it very good and maybe it was Helga helping you out Brian 😇

Brian, After seeing this photo I spent the next hour or so going back through my photos of my daughter as she rode her big wheel or danced in her tutu and ballet slippers (2004/5). I also came across the photos of the moment she unwrapped a birthday present and it was Angelina Ballerina. That little mouseling was her constant companion for a long time. I may watch one of those DVD's for old times sake.:) Yes! Print it. I have white magnetic display panels with storage bin attached to our bedroom doors. I print and post various shots from times passed. Recently our beloved family pet, a15 year old miniature poodle, reached her end of life. I've been printing various photos of her and display them on the door. It has helped with our grief. I love photography.
Thanks for your comments Bill. Angelina Ballerina reminds me of our Valentino, a cute little stuffed rag doll in the form of a court jester. He was my older daughter's boon companion for several years when she was little. Such mementos are to be cherished. I'm really delighted that my image of Meg's cartwheel inspired you to look through pictures of your own. Sorry to hear about your pooch, though. Such a loss isn't easy.

A while back there was a thread on here inviting members to post their favorite picture. Years ago, probably around the period of time I shot the cartwheel photo, I bought Meg a Polaroid I-Zone camera. These cameras produced instant photos about the size of a postage stamp. A couple of years ago I discovered a small cache of images Meg had shot with the I-Zone. I couldn't remember ever seeing them before. One of the pics was a "selfie" she took of her impish little face. It is delightful! That small cache of pics inspired me to shoot Instax mini photos of my granddaughter each time we visit. I hope someday she will discover a cache of photos of her by "Pops."

I love photography too.

Thanks again Bill.

I’m not sure what I like best; the image or the discussion it has prompted.

Not being a parent (or a guardian of a dog) I cannot quite share the joy the image has invoked, but I can appreciate it. I can also appreciate the image as being joyous, for that it is. It radiates childhood fun and the ‘static’ foot anchors it firmly as a fleeting moment. And one you rightly share and recall instantly. What better reason to love photography can there be.

It is one of those images that always brings the closing stanza of “By the Ninth Green, Sy Enodoc” by John Betjeman to mind:

"Why is it that a sunlit second sticks?
What force collects all this and seeks to fix
This fourth March morning nineteen sixty-six
Deep in my head?"

Not being a parent (or a guardian of a dog) I cannot quite share the joy the image has invoked, but I can appreciate it. I can also appreciate the image as being joyous, for that it is. It radiates childhood fun and the ‘static’ foot anchors it firmly as a fleeting moment. And one you rightly share and recall instantly. What better reason to love photography can there be.

It is one of those images that always brings the closing stanza of “By the Ninth Green, Sy Enodoc” by John Betjeman to mind:

Deep in my head?"
Simply your emotions and your mind Pete. All the best.

Deep in my head?"
I love that quote, Pete! Thank you.

Back