Memories of Route 66

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Stopped off at Twin Arrows Trading Post - East of Flagstaff AZ on the old Route 66.

This used to be a bustling gas station, with a diner, and two very distinctive arrows that gave it it's name.

Now it's closed, and gradually falling apart - although the arrows themselves were restored a couple of years ago to stop them disappearing completely. Amazing how quickly nature starts to reclaim the land...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Fascinating. I've always wanted to do a Route 66 run, but never seem to find the opportunity. So close, yet so far. This place looks interesting, because those pumps seem fairly recent so it couldn't have been closed for that long.

Stopped off at Twin Arrows Trading Post - East of Flagstaff AZ on the old Route 66

As you do chris.... Lol, dude, these are great, I'm so jealous! I really want to say I've touched the Tarmac of route 66....... But I haven't. Very good shots these. Looks warm out there still,.

Whats the deal with route 66 then?
Like the soft tones in the first 2!
your getting out there with the snapping at the mo eh Chris ... tiz good!

Whats the deal with route 66 then?

Not sure if your joking there Hamish. Route 66 or unofficially known to the Americans as, the 'Will Rogers Highway' and is just shy of 2500 miles long! Now that's a mother of all roads! To put it into context, our not so large nearest motorway (which I believe the route 66 predominantly isn't a motorway which makes it better already) is about 170 mile of boring 3 lane monotonous driving ...... And that gets us to cornwall!!! So imagine the landscape, buildings, cultures, people, youll get to see through 2500miles across the states! Love to ride that road. :) well jel !

Fascinating. I've always wanted to do a Route 66 run, but never seem to find the opportunity. So close, yet so far. This place looks interesting, because those pumps seem fairly recent so it couldn't have been closed for that long.

The last attempt to resurrect the stop was in 1995 - hence the newer gas pumps - but it didn't work out for them

Now it's surrounded by concrete barricades to stop you from getting close - which I quickly hopped over to get my shots! :)

Nice shots Chris. Love those arrows. We have very similar arrows on either side of a bar-supper club on highway US 2 in north central Montana. In my memory they look almost identical. The arrows are in bad shape as is the establishment but I think it might still be open. Next time I'm up that way I'll take a closer look and a pic too.

I think Route 66 was the principle east-west automobile route for the US for many decades. I think also, wasn't there a TV show: Route 66? Also, didn't the Rolling Stones pay homage to Route 6-6?

Anyway, great shots, Chris. I think desert scenery appeals to me more in b&w than in color.

i have to say chris(not knowing what your stuff was like before i got here) i am LOVING your stuff, they are the kind of shots I love to look at

These are great Chris love the arrows and I also love the fact that nature DOES bite back and reclaim what it has lost to 'man'..........wish we had a route 66.........oh we have it's called the M25. everyone goes there but rarely does anyone reach the end :)

Nice shots Chris. Love those arrows. We have very similar arrows on either side of a bar-supper club on highway US 2 in north central Montana. In my memory they look almost identical. The arrows are in bad shape as is the establishment but I think it might still be open. Next time I'm up that way I'll take a closer look and a pic too.

Ralph - I think the arrows are just telegraph poles with plywood points and feathers - so could well be duplicated in you neck of the woods.

Will look forward to seeing your local watering hole... ;)

i have to say chris(not knowing what your stuff was like before i got here) i am LOVING your stuff, they are the kind of shots I love to look at

Thank you sir - I'm trying to shoot subjects and styles which I also enjoy looking at - and it's all part of my new year resolution to stretch my boundaries in 2011 :)

Back