Model Making and Automata

I'd forgotten all about this section until @Peter Roberts mentioned it with regard to model railways. So, as a nudge, I thought I'd share some stuff of what I have been wasting my time with recently.

A friend of ours discovered her old dolls house in the basement after her mother died last year. It was pretty battered, but it was formally her mothers and we persuaded her not to throw it out. She then decided that it might be nice to restore it and asked foe help know that I often built miniatures of things (I'll come to them in another post). So, I got the job of restoring the furniture and making some bits to replace those that were missing.

Here are a few examples:

The ceramic washbasin with refreshed paint and new taps and a trap from brass.

Doll House Bathroom Washbasin-1.jpg

The Toilet, now repainted and with appropriate reading material (where is your copy of A Brief History of Time?) - and radio now lights up!

Toilet with Books-1.jpg

The Metal Oven - repainted and now with a new flue.

Oven-1.jpg

I also built a kitchen sink, a wardrobe with hangers plus an old case for on top and restored all the rest of the furniture plus a bedside cabinet. Here it is under construction!

Besdide Cabinet-1.jpg

Next job is to finish cutting all the pieces for some parquet flooring in the lounge and fit it.

Beautiful story! Poetic. Life is complicated, but contains wonderful details in its folds. Thank you for sharing these photos and thoughts. I wouldn't have the patience to do that, but you have my unreserved approval because it is these things that keep the planet on axis.

Looks bog standard to me ☺️ Sorry. I'm sure you are flushed with success...

Well done. I absolutely hate modelling. Just thought I'd tell the world that. Which explains why I have only track, train and carriages for my model railway. But I can imagine it is anywhere in the universe!

Nice shots of a fun hobby!

Did you make your model-maker brass clamps?

Back