Model

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
No pics. Just text, I'm afraid.

One of my old friends (who shall remain nameless) was for a few short years a fashion model. I haven't seen her in 25 years. I have just asked her advice about engaging a model for arty shots - in other words, no money! No glamour, no fashion, no nudity. No age limit. To my surprise - because she gave up modelling 20 years ago - she said she would do it for a coffee :cool: And it would be a great opportunity to catch up on the last 25 years.

I'm delighted - there are only so many shots you can take of your wife and daughter before it starts to be a strain. This model knows what's what, and might also have some advice.

OK. But what next?

It seems to me there are two paths for the taking:

1) Use the model in a concept, much like Pete did with Ina in his recent series. OK. But what's the concept? What do I want to say? Suddenly being faced with the possibility of a shooting session, it's difficult to come up with a clear idea, a framework. Much thought will be needed before hand. Obviously I have ideas - but pulling it all together into a cohesive plan is not so easy. I'm not saying that every detail has to be worked out in advance, but the situation needs to be thought over. Following that, a venue, and other details.

2) Shoot the person. Who is she? What has she been up to? What are her dreams, concerns, etc, etc. What does she mean to me? To those around her? Well, this person has made it public that she has had a rough time in recent years, due to an abusive spouse. Now divorced, she has a new partner. Seems very happy, but carries some real heavy baggage, and is actively involved in campaigns against domestic abuse. Her story is real, and touches me - reminds me of my own parents. So, there are emotional issues for both of us. That could make for a productive situation. On the other hand, I am totally inexperienced and out of my depth to even approach trying to capture some of that. But I would one day wish to be so in control of the creative and technical aspects of photography, that I could feel some confidence in taking on such a project. I'm just not there yet.

A third path would be to just go for a coffee and chat. See what happens. On reflection, that might be the best option!

If anything comes of it, I'll keep you posted.

Couple of three thoughts Rob

One - starting out with someone who knows how to model is a huge bonus - she will naturally be able to present different looks to the camera. Most people you shoot are not models, and have no idea how to react when you point a camera at them - so this is a great opportunity. She will also know how to dress and do make-up for camera, both of which make a huge difference to the finished look.

Two - just shoot her as a first shoot, get to know each other again and learn from the interaction and the resulting shots. My bet is that this will then trigger ideas for a next shoot.

Three - coffee to start is a great idea - she'll be nervous because she's not modeled in a while, you are nervous because this is all new. Once you both get over that, the next meet/shoot will be more relaxed and that will show in the pictures.

You have all the talent and ability you'll need - you've already done all the ground work with your photography in the last year or so. Any barriers are all in your head! :)

Last edited:
Well to me the answer is rather obvious. Your self portraits convey quite a bit about you. You are a musician, like books, shelves to keep your clutter on, cardigans and prefer to photograph yourself in heavy shadows. You could try to do the same but for her?

Thanks, Chris. And you are of course right - I'm nervous, and she might well be as well. So it might take more than one shoot. But if the only barriers are in my head - I'm doomed [banghead]

- - - Updated - - -

Paul - no way will Susan let her wear one of my cardies [doh]

The advice Chris has given in pretty well spot-on I'd say. I would suggest meeting for a coffee on neutral ground as it were, so you re-acquaint, maybe even try a shot in the coffee shop. Then go for a walk somewhere / a museum (depending on weather) with the objective of doing some environmental portraits as a start. That will give her a chance to pose a bit an you a chance to get used to someone who is expecting to be photographed. From there and the conversation you could explore some ideas for another session.

Thanks, Chris. And you are of course right - I'm nervous, and she might well be as well. So it might take more than one shoot. But if the only barriers are in my head - I'm doomed [banghead]

I'm getting flashbacks to Dad's Army for some reason Rob :D :D :D

[video=youtube_share;w7RIgs3eygo]http://youtu.be/w7RIgs3eygo[/video]

Back