Monastery of Agios Gerasimos, Kefalonia

Chris Bennett

53033330547_697901eb8f_b.jpg

Sony NEX 5 (full spectrum) / E 18-55mm / 72nm filter

I thought I had written a sentence or two about this photo, but it seems not to have made the cut in my original post above!

I spent a lot of last summer fiddling with this little converted Sony camera and a couple of filters - the R72 and a 58nm one. A trip to Kefalonia last month gave me an opportunity to put what I thought I had learned to the test! This is my first serious attempt at a building and I'm really happy with the result.
We've visited this place several times before and, this time it was almost entirely deserted. I find the place fascinating as the architecture makes me feel like I am walking around inside one of M.C. Escher's works. This photo takes that idea and propels it even further.

Last edited:
I like this a lot; the white of the building and the black sky compliment each other so well.

This is my first serious attempt at a building

Chris I don't know if, by this statement, you're new to architectural photography or to photographing buildings in the IR spectrum. The following is based on my assumption that you intended the former. (If I'm wrong just disregard.)

About architectural images: We used to have a participating member by the name of Darren Bradley. Darren is a very fine architectural photographer who specializes in modern architecture. At one point Darren contributed a series of posts about architectural photography to RPF. At the time I had a growing appreciation of architectural photography but as yet no meaningful practice to develop decent images in that genre. Darren's posts helped me take steps in that direction. I think Darren's posts still exist in the forum. I'll see if I can find them and post the link.

Chris, here is Part 1 (of 3) of Darren's primer on architectural photography.

I like this a lot; the white of the building and the black sky compliment each other so well.

Chris I don't know if, by this statement, you're new to architectural photography or to photographing buildings in the IR spectrum. The following is based on my assumption that you intended the former. (If I'm wrong just disregard.)

About architectural images: We used to have a participating member by the name of Darren Bradley. Darren is a very fine architectural photographer who specializes in modern architecture. At one point Darren contributed a series of posts about architectural photography to RPF. At the time I had a growing appreciation of architectural photography but as yet no meaningful practice to develop decent images in that genre. Darren's posts helped me take steps in that direction. I think Darren's posts still exist in the forum. I'll see if I can find them and post the link.
Hi Brian,
I actually meant IR spectrum architectural photography, but I know almost nothing about photographing buildings in any spectrum!
As such, thanks for the link - I will read with interest.

Very impressive with the black sky behind the building, and what a building it is! I think the snowy-white foliage also gives it (somewhat paradoxically) a rather tropical feeling.
And I like the camera too - I have one of those! Not IR-converted though. Hmmm....

And thanks for introducing me to M.C. Escher. I spent about an hour looking through his works. I've seen one or two before I think but hadn't really appreciated his style. Wow.

Very impressive with the black sky behind the building, and what a building it is! I think the snowy-white foliage also gives it (somewhat paradoxically) a rather tropical feeling.
And I like the camera too - I have one of those! Not IR-converted though. Hmmm....

And thanks for introducing me to M.C. Escher. I spent about an hour looking through his works. I've seen one or two before I think but hadn't really appreciated his style. Wow.
Thanks Stevenson.
Glad to have led you to MC Escher!

A fine set of images, Chris. (I think Darren's primer on architectural photography is not a top priority for you. 😊)

So often one or two photos from a set stand out as better (to my eye) than others, which is helpful to me as I try to contribute meaningful comments. But in this case I think all five of your follow-up photos are superb. That's a delightful composition in #3 as well as 5. (So maybe those two are standouts for me but it feels strange to suggest it given the quality of the other three.)

A fine set of images, Chris. (I think Darren's primer on architectural photography is not a top priority for you. 😊)

So often one or two photos from a set stand out as better (to my eye) than others, which is helpful to me as I try to contribute meaningful comments. But in this case I think all five of your follow-up photos are superb. That's a delightful composition in #3 as well as 5. (So maybe those two are standouts for me but it feels strange to suggest it given the quality of the other three.)
Thanks Brian. The monastery is such a great subject and, I think the conditions for IR photography must have been near perfect. I so rarely see skies like that in the northwest of England!
I found that the links in Darren's primer threads were broken, so had to do a search to find them all - 5 of them, I think. I shall read and refer back to them, as they look to be a great, well written guide.

Back