More Bronica SQAi-Portra 400 shots

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
From Easter Sunday at the Botanic Gardens and out by the Forth Bridge. It was a sunny day, as you can see, and all felt right with the world.

Bronica SQA1, Portra 400, and either the 40mm wide angle or 200mm. Developed and printed 8x8 by Ag Photolab in Birmingham. I must say the prints look much better, especially the brown tree shot - wow, it looks wonderful. I scanned them, then removed some dust.

In no particular order:

1. Forth Bridge, looking towards the Kingdom of Fife:

brig 3SM.jpg

2. Peek-a-View:

brig through treesSM.jpg

3. Tug boat out yonder:

ForthSM.jpg

4. The brown tree:

brown treeSM.jpg

5. White things growing out of black things. Note the lichen on the branches. Susan (my wife) did a weekend course on lichen identification, and was informed that in the 1970s there was no lichen to be found in Edinburgh, such was the deleterious effect of the air pollution. Things are much better now, and lichen is a good indicator of the health of a city.

white blossomSM.jpg

It interests me that when shooting digital I go for "arty" shots, but don't feel the need to do so with film.

EDIT: PS I forgot to mention I use a phone app light meter, called (imaginatively!) Light Meter. It's really very good.

Thanks, Maza.

Thanks, Pete. Agree about the brown tree. As I said, the print is wonderful, so I'm not really caring about the scan, but I should do...

Nice to see the old film cameras in use, nice shots too. I've just (re) bought an SQ-Ai with 40mm, 65mm, 80mm and 150mm with the intention of getting back into MF Film photography. I have 2 backs so have a test roll through each using all lenses to ensure everything is working fine then I will be looking to shoot some landscapes and urban landscapes.

Great, Paul. Please share some of your shots once developed and scanned. 2 backs would be useful. I'd have one in b&w, the other in colour.
Yep, that's how I intend to use them. At the moment I have FP4 (which I'll rate at 100) for one and Provia 100F (which I'' use at box speed) for the other but I'll wait until my test films are back before committing any more film.

I'll be keen to share once up and running, I've only just found this Forum and I'm liking it. :)

Back