More Cambridge In Hp5+

Paul Lange

Had another chance to wonder around Cambridge last weekend. Ella and I spent a few hours on the very cold Sunday until she wimped out and asked to go home. Still the nice hot drinks and roasted veg paninis we had in the cafe seemed all the better, yummy. I took just the Fuji GS645S and my Nikon FE but only managed to run through half a roll of 35mm. I did manage to get through 2 rolls of 120 on the Fuji though. I read that HP5+ is good if you have a scene with plenty of contrast so I sought out such places. These were developed with Ilford ID-11 in 1+1 solution at 20 deg. I made a mistake on the second roll and poured in the developed I used for the first roll (you are nor supposed to reuse 1+1 solution). For stock solution you add 10% to the developing time for each successive film so as 1+1 solution was effectively half strength to stock I added 20%. It seemed to work OK, I am sure there must be some reduction in quality but the negatives scanned well and I didn't see any obvious reduction.

The collages have their own chapels and most of the time you are welcome to wander in and look around.

I just love the old architecture, construction techniques and the patina of years of use. The fairly ancient buildings are still in use today and most have their original fixtures and fittings.

I discovered this more modern (or is it post modern) sculpture in one of the chapels. I tend to find a lot of this kind of sculpture irrelevant and not particularly meaningful. However, the light through the window made this piece look just stunning.

This is a slightly different variation that for some reason my scanner's auto framing chopped off half the frame. I actually like it this way.

In another chapel I found this mould attached painting. It is of a series of 2 showing naked men floating, something I thought would be out of place in a chapel but they actually make a lot of sense.

I am starting to really like the Fuji GS645S, it took me a while but I am glad that I continued to use it. I know Dave Green loves his too. The camera has quite a limited set of apertures and shutter speeds but once you get used to it is not too bad to work around the limitation.

Very nice Paul - I especially like the first 3. The lighting on the first is outstanding and the shadows and textures make for a great image on the 3rd. The last image doesn't quite click with me in spite of the rather bizarre & interesting subject.

Lovely detail in the door on number 2, Paul. I love the composition, also. Number 1 with the light falling on the Bible and Jesus looking down at it is a cracker of a shot. The light is lovely with just enough where it needs to be I think. Great set overall!

What can I say, Pete. You're an animal! Not only do you manage to reply to pretty much every post on RPF you still find time to fly halfway across the world, take photos and then come back, process them and post them on here. My theory is that in a freak microbiology experiment you managed to split yourself in two mitosis style! BTW, thanks for the comments.

Back