Motorshow in Evesham

Dan Cattermole

Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble
Last weekend I took a visit to a very small classic motor show, no where near as good as it was a couple of years ago. But apart from the rain, a good day out.

For those who don't know this is an original vw fastback which looked absolutely adorable in the flesh. The trouble when you go to an event like this is that there is no stopping anybody wondering around and having a look at the vehicle in question when your trying to get a decent shot of the thing. So background interruption is always in these occasions, a bit of a let down. But on this shot with the extensive about of PP, I selected everything other than the car to underexpose and 'get rid'. There are many many tell tail signs of this been taken outside from the reflections, but as there isn't many opportunities to take a vehicle of such excellence in a a studio etc, I thought I'd give it my best shot with PP....... 2 hours in fact.. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking

a7e3bb69.jpg

Here's just a couple more

96abaae3.jpg

ed2f5e73.jpg

Last edited:
What was in the background of the first on!
Maybe instead of blacking it out out could just soften it loads so it's barely even got detail, the just lower the exposure a little to make the car pop a load ... You could even soften the reflections to the same extent?

I like the first shot even though it was created artificially, as it were (does it have a very slight lean to the right?). I like the second too a lot although I'm generally not a great fan of selective colour in B&W. I would probably have left a touch of colour, or at least a tone, in the rest of the image.

This is the original shot of the edit, not sure what inspired me to change it so much, but I guess its the unwanted backround that I don't like. Give me a clue how to put the raw file on here, and i wouldn't mind seeing other edits if any one wants to have a bash. Tried to blur that background out a bit, wasn't too sure about it...... But yes! Wouldnt mind a few edit ideas on this shot form as many people as possible.. Love the angle, love the car, need inspiration.....

P6040044.jpg

Haha!! Thanks for noticing pete! As it were, it most certainly had a lean to the right. Lol. Well spotted! Great advice with the 2nd shot pete, wasn't too sure whether to leave colour in the background or not..... I'll give it a go... Thanks pete :)

Love the fastback Dan - that first shot with the PP is a winner IMHO - the car really grabs your attention against the black backdrop. That rust pattern is great.

SWMBO used to have a VW Squareback, and we used to visit Type3 Detectives in the UK for parts when over on visits.

I think the hardest bit to change will be the bald guy's head that you can see on the LHS of the windscreen. I quite like the 1st one as well. If you were desperate for a background you could try cutting the car and the grass foreground and pasting into a new background?

Back