Mount Logan at Sunrise

Ralph Thornton

I got this photo of Mount Logan from our camp in the back country of Glacier National Park Montana during a recent mountaineering adventure there. The wind was blowing and the clouds were moving quickly. But for a while the sun really illuminated things nicely.

logan.jpg

Wow and double wow!

Lovely gap light Ralph

Go on, this is really taken from the parking-lot just off the highway isn't it - next to the Denny's ;)

Last edited:
Go on, this is really taken from the parking-lot just off the highway isn't it - next to the Denny's ;)
We drove 6 miles of rough gravel to reach the parking lot but found no Denny's. Then we hiked on a trail for 7 miles gaining a few thousand feet of elevation to reach Triple Divide Pass. No Denny's there either. So we climbed a big cliff, camped for the night, climbed some more the following two days and finally reached this spot. Never did find the Denny's though. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Maybe it's behind the mountain?

I am always in awe of the sheer legwork required to get to your locations Ralph - most of us would never make it!

There are places that they put folks like me. Fortunately they haven't caught me yet. ;)

I got a few flower pics from this trip too. I'll try to post some of those next week.

very nicely done. i love the bright reds and cool blues in the mountain and clouds.

i'll be in glacier in about a month for a day and a half. if it doesn't burn down or get covered in snow first.. going to try to locate triple falls at logan pass and walk to avalanche gorge.

As far as I know there are no fires burning in Glacier National Park so far this year. There has been some smoke though that has blown in from distant fires. Late September can be nice in Glacier, or not. Hopefully you'll be luck with the weather. going to the Sun Road will close early this year on the east side for construction. Access to Logan Pass from the west should continue to October if the weather permits.

"Wow" and "Double wow", well intentioned though those remarks may be, just ain't good enough for this 'un, Ralph. This 'un's nothing short of a Wowee! :)

Beautiful shot!

I was there a year ago and can appreciate the hike. There are so many stunning place to see in Glacier Park. The experience of actually being there is almost surreal and is echoed in shot you posted. It so hard to capture and distill so much beauty into one shot.

Did you see any wildlife up there?

Saw goats, elk, deer and numerous bird species on that hike. Sent 8 days in the backcountry and saw no bears but after reaching our vehicle and starting the drive out of the park we saw bears from the car in two places. Go figure.

I aggree WOW WOW WOW what a cracking shot ! Makes you want to go there to see if you can get anything half as good.

Back