Mullard EF72

Stevenson Gawen

IMGP1580-small.jpg
Pentax K10D, 18-55mm lens at f16, off camera speedlight triggered by pop-up flash.
I held an old licence card against the pop up to prevent too much direct light, and used several bits of paper as reflectors and diffusers.

The subject is a sub miniature RF pentode valve/tube.
One of my hobbies is amateur radio - I bought a couple of storage drawers, that just happened to be ready stocked... ;)
This was a while back.
Just came across some of the stuff today, and only took this pic to post on a couple of FB groups in case anyone is interested. (It's of an earlier era than any of my equipment) But it turned into a nice little distraction for at least 30min... 😄

On a side note, I'm impressed with the sharpness available from the 19 year old camera and cheap kit lens... I did sharpen a bit in post, but no more than usual with other equipment. And it's cropped!

Very nicely lit, Stevenson.

We visited a friend a short while back who lives on the other side of Berlin, in Oberschöneweider, and just opposite her apartment is the old AEG valve factory. It is now a complex housing small businesses and artists' studios. In one of the old factories is a jazz bar and also a museum with some of the old valve and electron tube making equipment plus examples of many of the valves they made. It is free to enter and very interesting.

Does it sound good?
Stevenson, it worked is about all I can say.
Just curious, Gary, what variety was the amp you built?
Boy Ralph, you're asking me to go way back. It was just some generic kit - I suspect I found it online. I don't even remember the wattage. I had this notion that I was going to unravel the mysteries of tube amps and build my own amp that was better than what I could buy. Obviously, I gave up. I do have a hand-wired Victoria that is sitting in the closet. I often wonder if I shouldn't be getting rid of all the stuff that my wife will end up worrying about having to dispose at some point.

Stevenson, it worked is about all I can say.

Boy Ralph, you're asking me to go way back. It was just some generic kit - I suspect I found it online. I don't even remember the wattage. I had this notion that I was going to unravel the mysteries of tube amps and build my own amp that was better than what I could buy. Obviously, I gave up. I do have a hand-wired Victoria that is sitting in the closet. I often wonder if I shouldn't be getting rid of all the stuff that my wife will end up worrying about having to dispose at some point.
Ah, ok, looks like guitar rather than hifi. I had to look it up. I love music but can't play anything (other than the fool). I've had I've had two hifi amps over the years. Nothing quite like 'em.

Back