Music Of The Ukraine

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I have a cyber friend, Roman Turovsky, who was born in the Ukraine, but now lives in New York. He is a figurative artist, photographer and lute player. He has arranged hundreds of old Ukrainian melodies for the lute, and this week I decided to record a couple.

Roman added the following film to an mp3 I sent him:

Hope you like these beautiful and sad melodies as much as I do.

Wow... Beautiful, Rob.
I love the 'cheeky' left handed fret plucking 52 seconds in Cantio S' whilst looking at your right hand as if to say 'look, magic'! And then to top things off...... The evident eyebrow raise on continuation that displays a 'pffff, how do I do it!'
Rob, very talented you are. I wish I continued with my guitars. Just seems a waste of 20 years of playing.

Ha, interesting interpretation of the 'hand off' moment :) It is actually a stab at those we call the "Early Music Police" who insist that no one used left-hand pull-offs and hammer-ons on the Renaissance lute. They have no way of knowing, of course, as no tutors were published. And every culture which plays guitars, lutes, etc, etc, uses them quite naturally. I was doing the equivalent of the two-fingered "up yours' to them. Didn't mean it to appear arrogant!

Glad you like it, Dan.

I definitely enjoyed that bit.
Made my day!

Rob putting down the Renaissance hammer - love it!

Back