My First Cat Shot

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I've coveted a Leica Monochrom since they came out, and thanks to a pension coming good, I have managed to buy one second hand. Now I'm quite skint again, all I could afford for a lens was the 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1, bought from here https://35mmc.com/shop/product-brands/7artisans/ but it turns out to be a very decent lens, designed for the Leica.

I'd never had a rangefinder before, so need to practice focussing, aligning the two images in the viewfinder. This morning I thought I'd get some practice in while out in our garden. Suddenly this cat appeared, and started walking towards me. That was a real challenge for keeping in focus. I aimed as best I could for the eyes, took about eight shots (at f/1.7), which this is the best of:

cat eyes 1 Nik.jpg

I sharpened the eyes a tiny bit in Nik Viveza, but did nothing else. I put it through Lightroom, but everything I tweaked took something away.

I'd like to thank the model...

That is a first class cat picture, (as a cat lover and Facebook user, I have seen 1000's). The sharpness of the face and shallow DoF have caught the "mystic black cat" look very well.

I love it!
The extremely narrow depth of field almost makes the cat look like it's peering through a portal into our world. It's body and everything else remain outside the bubble and back in his world.

Back