My first darkroom - need advice on very compact setup

David Mitchell

Hi all,

It looks like I will be (hopefully) moving into my new apartment at the beginning of next month, its a nice 2 bed place with 2 large 'cupboards'. One of them contains the boiler and an electrical panel, however the other is an airing cupboard with shelves quite high up.

The airing cupboard also has a nice compact radiator but its actually got quite a bit of internal space and so I can easily get into it and close the door behind me with space enough for a small desk/table. As far as I can tell there is no electricity points in there or indeed any running water.

I am however thinking of converting this airing cupboard into a mini darkroom, but I would need some help on what I should go with. Here is my idea (need opinions if it would work).

• Small table large enough to have a set of trays/dev. tank
  • Light seals under the door to block out any light
  • Red safelight (battery powered)
  • Small tank of water for the wash phase - perhaps something like a brewing tank with a tap at the bottom to gravity feed
  • Tank under the table to put in spent developer
  • Small shelves under the table for chemicals (stop bath etc)

How does that plan sound? I don't think I could fit anything like an enlarger in there due to the space that needs plus the need for power (which I guess I could temporarily run under the door).

The main thing I am looking into is how to make it light tight, are there special rubber seals etc that would seal light out from around the door?

I will post some before and after photos when I get the property and the progress I make, I just need to develop the negatives (black and white) rather than analogue enlargement as I will simply scan them in.

Given that you don't need to print yet and the lack of ventilation you would have after you have light-proofed the room, I would go with a changing bag and a daylight tank. Either that or buy a sofa bed and sacrifice that spare room and go the whole hog! ;)

Lol ok :D I will look at getting a changing bag, I was planning on using a daylight tank, I think I might just add in a table in there so I can set things out to dry etc. Completely forgot about a changing bag and tank! I could also perhaps use the airing cupboard as a space to get cyanotypes ready for exposure away from UV light.

Back