My first decent landscape

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
From 2012, the year I started photography as a hobby, the year I joined this forum. Some kind of Fuji film through what I think (judging by the 6x7 format) was a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD - I didn't keep records well in those days (still don't!). It looks like it has had some post processing, apparently Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. I've taken many awful landscape shots, so by my own poor standards in that genre, this is a good one. The place is Crammond on the outskirts of Edinburgh, looking over to the isle of Inchkeith in the river Forth.

Crammons 8a 2012a.jpg

The original is large, nearly 3000 x 2300, but when I try to reduce that to 1400 width it insists on reducing to 672 x 531. I've tried three times now with different widths, but they all turn out to be 672 x 531. How strange. Never encountered that before. It's a pity, as there is a lot of detail in the grass.

Last edited:
I like this picture of yours, strange how your personal style was already there 12 years ago. Yes, it's a pity you have this resizing problem, a problem I can't imagine the cause of. What software do you use to resize pictures?

I would say that there has been a modification of the original photo, as you said. If anything, it almost looks like some sort of split-toning has been applied, but perhaps manually selecting certain areas to get a warmer colour tone here and there.

From the EXIF data it looks like you used Exposure X7 as your editing software. Is this possible?

Maybe it's a cliché, but I can imagine a good setting for The Hound of the Baskervilles in this landscape.

Thank you, Gianluca. The EXIF data is connected to the resizing attempt this morning with Exposure 7. The original jpg shows it was edited as mentioned, with Elements 10.
Yes, I think anyone who looked through my 2012 files would see a direct link to what I do now. I find that amusing and interesting.
As for the scene, I had in mind the opening of Great Expectations, but The Hound would be a good alternative. 😎

I, too, like this image. I evokes a feeling of being somewhen back in ancient history, probably bronze or iron age and the viewer is, in fact, trudging his precarious way across the marshes from one settlement to the next, carrying his few worldly possessions in a makeshift sack slung over his shoulder. Who knows the reason for his beleaguered travels..

Love it, Rob. The highlights in the grasses in the center give a nice effect. I like the high horizon, too. (Rule of Thirds,...? Who cares!)

Thanks, Brian. I didn’t know about such things then, but I think it would have been boring that way, don’t you? This way it seems more oppressive, I think.

Back