My introductory photos

John Allen

There are better categories for each of these photos, but I wanted to post them altogether for my intro piece. I've already introduced myself in the Meet and Greet section, but didn't post any photos there. I plan on posting mostly b&w and some color from film in the future, but it's going to be a while before I have any suitable shots to share, so I thought I'd share these. They are all from digital cameras. Critiques welcome.

This one was shot in 2003 with a 2.1mp Kodak DC280. It is of a stream running into Lake Superior.
DCP_0027.jpg

I'm not much into portraits, but I always liked this one of a friend's daughters. Shot with an Olympus SP550UZ f/3.5 - 1/30sec - ISO 100 - window light - converted to b&w in Photoshop
P4040019.jpg

Last one. This one was also shot with the Olympus ultra zoom. It was shot in the Olive Branch, Mississippi city park.
DateTimeOriginal : 2008:01:09 17:25:53
Model : SP550UZ
MeteringMode : Spot
ExposureProgram : Aperture-priority AE
Aperture : 4.5
ShutterSpeed : 1/60
ISO : 50
ExposureCompensation : 0
WhiteBalance : Manual
Sharpness : Normal
Contrast : High
Saturation : High
geese_2.jpg

Nice shots, John. Thanks for sharing them.

The landscape is perfectly composed. I love beach and woodland, so it's a place I would love to explore.

The portrait is wonderful - two scallywags! They obviously trust you, and enjoyed being photographed. They'll love that one when they are grown up.

The birds - again, a nice composition. I like the water - has a nice golden quality. The sun must have been dropping somewhat.

Don't hold back on sharing more.

Thanks, Rob. I think the stream is called Mosquito Creek. It's near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The winters in the UP are long and bitter. The area near that stream gets 20 feet of snow each year, on average. I've got another shot of that stream I want to ask for cropping advice on. The girls are my son's god-daughters. Very much like honorary nieces. The birds were one of those lucky breaks that comes from being in the right place at the right time. I'd been there the night before and saw the beautiful light, but couldn't shoot it with that camera without a tripod. I returned the next night and got these shots just a few minutes before sundown. The sun was behind me. The light on the water was the reflection from the clay bank and the trees on the other side of the pond.

Very nice and I like them all albeit in different categories, but that is probably how we all are. And as you said, being there at the right time in regard to what takes place as well as what the light is like, has much to do with it. A well done introductory as you leave us in suspense for more.

The shot of the two wee lassies is classic. They look like two (delightfully) cheeky wee urchins. :)
It makes me feel good to read your comment, because it shows that I managed to capture their essence. I guarantee these non-identical twins are both cheeky urchins even as the teenagers they are now. Then again, aren't all teenagers cheeky?

Back