Nature Versus Art

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Vase1x700.jpg

This is from ten years ago...I haven't any new stuff to contribute. I went off photography for a couple of years, but @Brian Moore asked me for a copy of this image, so I went hunting for it, and found it on an old external hard drive. And that led me to seeing many of my old medium-format photos. Before I knew it I had bought a Mamiya 6 – which I'd lusted after for years – with three lenses, 50mm, 75mm and 150mm (the only three made), and it was posted today. Hopefully I'll get it Thursday or Friday.
There are a lot of new names if not faces on this forum since its rebirth, and it's great to see all the newcomers here. Keep posting. Although we might not say much, your images and thoughts do get us thinking.
The above image was captured with Ilford FP4 (if I remember correctly) through a Mamiya RB 67 Pro SD. The dead flowers are to me more beautiful than the fixed smile of the art adorning the vase. In the battle of Art v. Nature, I always come down on the side of Nature.
Anyway, I hope to have more up-to-date images for you in the not too distant future.

Cheers, lads.

Yes, Chris, a new old camera. I love the square format too, so am looking forward to exploring with it. I was tired of all my photos, but the break has done me good.

Steve - thanks for your thoughtful comments. I had a look at your excellent website. Some great shots there!

Brian - this is all your fault!

Fab image, Rob. Perhaps a statement on our modern, uneasy relationship with the natural world, how we look to Mother Nature for our inspiration for creativity in art and yet can so readily trample on our muse for our own selfish ends. Either way great stuff! ☺️
I look forward to seeing images from the ‘6 🤓

Cheers, lads.

Yes, Chris, a new old camera. I love the square format too, so am looking forward to exploring with it. I was tired of all my photos, but the break has done me good.

Steve - thanks for your thoughtful comments. I had a look at your excellent website. Some great shots there!

Brian - this is all your fault!
Guilty as charged. 😊

Fab image, Rob. Perhaps a statement on our modern, uneasy relationship with the natural world, how we look to Mother Nature for our inspiration for creativity in art and yet can so readily trample on our muse for our own selfish ends. Either way great stuff! ☺️
I look forward to seeing images from the ‘6 🤓

Yeah, that kind of stuff, Ralph :)

The Mamamia 6 arrived at lunchtime. For once I actually read the manual, but it's all as expected. I have an out of date roll of Portra 160 to run through as a test roll, to check I don't have to return it. I'll do that tomorrow, before taking it to a lab for processing, but that'll take a few days for them to get it back to me. I have done my own developing before, but never mastered the art, so this time I'll give it to the pros. If all turns out okay, it will be a keeper, as it just looks and feels SO good!

Yeah, that kind of stuff, Ralph :)

The Mamamia 6 arrived at lunchtime. For once I actually read the manual, but it's all as expected. I have an out of date roll of Portra 160 to run through as a test roll, to check I don't have to return it. I'll do that tomorrow, before taking it to a lab for processing, but that'll take a few days for them to get it back to me. I have done my own developing before, but never mastered the art, so this time I'll give it to the pros. If all turns out okay, it will be a keeper, as it just looks and feels SO good!
Lolol. Mm, maybe I disappeared up my own end a bit there..🤔😁 still, it got thinkin’ so no bad thing 😎. Hope all goes well with the Mamiya and that it’s a keeper. I’m a bit like you in the sense that I did a bit of home devving years ago but never really got seriously into it. I preferred shooting transparencies, mostly good ol’ Kodachrome and Fuji Velvia. Since coming back to film b+w has become more of my ‘thing’ and recently home-brewing the development bit in caffenol. All good fun.

Exciting stuff Rob!
That's a camera I'd love to try. I have had the offer of a spell with a Fuji GSW690, which I will be taking advantage of in the coming weeks - similar but different.
Very nice! What’s it’s nickname? Something like texas leica or similar…

Lolol. Mm, maybe I disappeared up my own end a bit there..
I do so frequently, Ralph! Sometimes I think, "Yes, I do believe all this stuff I'm saying", and other times it's a case of "WTF? Take a walk..." But it's good to try and make something worthwhile ... oops, I was about to go on a bit there. Better stop now, or we'll be here all night!

I do so frequently, Ralph! Sometimes I think, "Yes, I do believe all this stuff I'm saying", and other times it's a case of "WTF? Take a walk..." But it's good to try and make something worthwhile ... oops, I was about to go on a bit there. Better stop now, or we'll be here all night!
😅

Before I knew it I had bought a Mamiya 6
The week before Christmas I pressed BUY IT NOW on eBay for what I thought was a bargain on a Mamiya m645 1000s. The dreadful tale of woe should soon be immortalized over on 35mmc and you can blame Hamish for my submittal and eventually showing up here as well.

Back