New EBAY purchase - Werra 1a

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I've been on a hunt for another film camera on EBAY recently - all thanks to Rob and his lovely film shots!

I was stalking a Canon 7 Rangefinder with 50mm f/1.2 Lens, but the price went through the roof so I started looking at other models.

Came across the first 35mm camera I remember my dad having - A Werra 1a.

Werra.jpg

As he remembers it - he saw the advert in the Sunday paper in around 1955 - and was taken with the Zeiss optics and cheap(ish) price of 20 quid.

It has a Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8 50mm Lens, with all exposure adjustments being made on the lens.

It's a point and shoot with scale-focusing - no rangefinder in this early version, which came from the East German factory.

On it's way next week from Eastern Europe, so might be a while till I get it - but it looks in minty condition, and is said to be fully functional, with case.

I always remembered the green finish and the lens cap which came off and reversed to become the lens hood - it looked like a mini thermos flask top!

Spoke to dad this morning by phone to tell him - and he was excited, but also remembered that 'you had no idea of what would be in the final image because the viewfinder was terrible' - so I may be taking on a challenge.

Oh well, reliving my childhood and having some fun - who'd have thought I'd be able to buy one all these decades later :)

Last edited:
Thats awesome :D

that lens cap arrangement is a good idea, surprised more camera weren't made like that.

I've bid on a few of these recently ... They have one in a shop in town, but it's a later one with an ugly sielnium cell that ruins the lines a bit to my eye.

very nice! I shall look forward to the shots! :)

Well, I'm glad I've drawn you away from that awful Fuji X-Pro 1 thing you've been subjecting us to. What a waste of time that was. Glad to see you've seen the light, so to speak.

:)

Well, I'm glad I've drawn you away from that awful Fuji X-Pro 1 thing you've been subjecting us to. What a waste of time that was. Glad to see you've seen the light, so to speak.

:)

I've seen the light Rob ;)

I've bid on a few of these recently ... They have one in a shop in town, but it's a later one with an ugly sielnium cell that ruins the lines a bit to my eye.

very nice! I shall look forward to the shots! :)

The lines are very clean aren't they Hamish, almost digital without the usual film advance.

I checked with Dad and he said no light meter on his, and based on the year I think I got the right one.

Low balled the seller and he countered with a price that still saved me $50 on the buy it now. Bargain! :)

Back