New member hello!

Wes Hall

Hi all, I'm Wes and I've been developing my photography skills as a hobby and erstwhile vintage lens appreciation for the last 18 months or so.

Currently use a Sigma DP1 and a Pentax KS-1, mostly with vintage manual lenses. Can't seem to take to shooting in auto mode, however I'm not averse to testing it for the right subject. And recently started to dabble in film with a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s- lovely metal brick.

I would love to know if there are any other Foveon shooters on here, certainly my favourite sensor type I've come across in a digital.

Hi Wes, and welcome! Good to have you here. I used to have the Sigma Merrills - wonderful cameras! Wish I still had them. I think I got tired of sitting at a computer...

Thanks for the greeting Rob, I hope to add a Merrill or Quatro at some stage as I don't see anyone revisiting the Foveon X3 anytime. I do get your sentiments however about the computer- somewhat liberating with film to just fire and wait for the development.

Welcome again, Wes. It is nice to have you aboard.

@Brian Moore still shoots with a Merrill I believe and his more recent work has been done by exploiting its IR sensitivity to great effect. I like the Foveon sensors very much, but the Sigma software used to frustrate me. I still have a couple of Merrills tucked away somewhere and should give them a spin again. Mind the same could be said of film, although I did tidy up the darkroom last week so hopefully will do something soon.

Thanks Pete, amazingly I've found the software user friendly for a novice but then again I've never really dabbled with Lightroom or similar until recently when using Rawtherapee and Gimp. It would be lovely to see some work with the Merrill, and thanks for pointing to a member to check out with Brian.

Just got my first picture thread posted- took a moment to get the images to the web size but there now- is it possible to link from a Flickr account?

Welcome again, Wes. It is nice to have you aboard.

@Brian Moore still shoots with a Merrill I believe and his more recent work has been done by exploiting its IR sensitivity to great effect. I like the Foveon sensors very much, but the Sigma software used to frustrate me. I still have a couple of Merrills tucked away somewhere and should give them a spin again. Mind the same could be said of film, although I did tidy up the darkroom last week so hopefully will do something soon.
Just catching up as I haven't been here for a while. Thanks for the mention, @Pete Askew. I do still shoot with the DP1 Merrill but mostly I've been shooting with the Sigma Quattro SD the last several months. It is the SD with which I have been exploiting the IR spectrum. It's easy with the SD as you can remove/replace the IR cut filter very easily and then with a deep red filter (mine is a Hoya R72) you can compose and shoot IR images hand-held. I have been inclined lately to put the IR cut filter back in so that I can shoot some colour or normal B&W for a while but one of the dangers of an easily removable/replaceable IR cut filter is the chance of misplacing the damn thing. Looks like I'll be doing IR a while longer.

Back