Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS - any fav portraits?

Julian Tanase

I just revived my interest in portraits recently, which is funny because I was never partial to this sort of photography. Of course, I had my fair share of portraits, but these were taken randomly. Nothing wrong with the genre, but not my cup of tea really, until now that is.

I was challenged by my daughter, who at almost 14 yrs now is a keen beginner in film photography; she loves it and wants to pursue it further. What can I say other than encourage her :) ... and keep feeding her film :) .

Anyways, I dusted my 105/2.5 and put it to work, again. Last time I have used this lens was over 10 yrs ago. Missed it rarely, for I had the ubiquitous 135/2.8 as a tele when I needed it, and the regular primes of 50. As wide lens go, the 28/2.8 saw those needs well covered.

This photograph here is of my daughter, and it was taken with this 105/2.5 (used here as a mid-tele), on Ilford HP5+ 400. While it does not show the full benefits of a portrait lens, I like it.

What is your fav portrait taken with this type of lens, if any? I am just curious.

0110_017.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of these, Julian, and a very sharp lens but, like Pete, I will have to hunt to find an example. I don't know whether it was a similar design, but the 105 for the Mamiya C33 I used for many years was a fovourite for portraits. Will see if I can dig something out on both.

I had one of these, Julian, and a very sharp lens but, like Pete, I will have to hunt to find an example. I don't know whether it was a similar design, but the 105 for the Mamiya C33 I used for many years was a fovourite for portraits. Will see if I can dig something out on both.
Dug out this one, taken some 40 years ago of my elder daughter. I had a Nikkormat then and a 105/2.5. They have such a knowing look at that age don't they?

Attachments

• DSC08511.JPG
    DSC08511.JPG
    800.7 KB · Views: 10
Dug out this one, taken some 40 years ago of my elder daughter. I had a Nikkormat then and a 105/2.5. They have such a knowing look at that age don't they?
Found an example from my Mamiya 105 - not exactly a portrait but close. My younger daughter who went on to become a professional dancer.

Attachments

• c3304.jpg
    c3304.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 7
because I was never partial to this sort of photography.
I never was either and back in the day I only had a 50/1.8 so you won't get any portraits from me Julian. That shot of your daughter is great!
Found an example from my Mamiya 105
That shot is amazing Tony! I love the back lighting of her hair in motion!

Back