No Earthly Connection

G

Graeme Harvey

They don't make album sleeves like this, any more. More's the pity. from 1976, Rick Wakeman's album "No Earthly Connection, complete with original mirror paper, rolled as advised on the inner sleeve, into a cylinder two-and-a-half inches in diameter.

rick1.jpg

rick2.jpg

ah gone are the days of the excitement of buying a LP from a 'real' record shop after waiting a year or so for the release. I still remember the excitement on buying Black Rose by Thin Lizzy and hurrying home to play it loud whilst laying between the speakers, only to be told to turn that rubbish down or in extreme cases to have the electricity turned off by me dad. CD's just dont have that tactile feel about them.

ah gone are the days of the excitement of buying a LP from a 'real' record shop after waiting a year or so for the release. I still remember the excitement on buying Black Rose by Thin Lizzy and hurrying home to play it loud whilst laying between the speakers, only to be told to turn that rubbish down or in extreme cases to have the electricity turned off by me dad. CD's just dont have that tactile feel about them.

So true. It's not just the sound - the sleeves could also be fantastic - lyrics at a size you could read; beautiful, lush artwork. I've been playing some of Rick's old albums today (getting ready to see him at the Cropredy Festival this weekend) and the sleeves and booklets with the records are just amazing. Happy days!

I have a friend going to Cropredy too, he's taking his narrow boat ' The Black Pig' to there, mooring it up and heading to the Festival.

I shall be heading to beautiful Days the week after for the levelers Festival. I shall be driving down overnight again to catch the sunrise at Stonehenge.

Back