Critique Welcomed North Wall Sunset

Ralph Thornton

The North Wall is a long cliff in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana. It's somewhat like the Chinese Wall, photos of which I've posted previously. The geology of this area has huge slabs of rock pushed eastward so that they typically have a gentle slope on the west side (left side in this photo) and an abrupt cliff that faces east.

A thunderstorm threatened to get us wet while we set up tents and prepared dinner at our camp. But as the sun was setting the clouds to the west parted enough to let the light shine through.

7950512392_1a1cd9df11_c.jpg

Amazing - didn't get the scale of the thing until I looked and saw trees!

What time of year was this?

Beauty Ralph. Love that warm glow on the landscape and the grandeur of the scene. It look warm but I imagine it was pretty chilly.

Chris, the photo was made around July 12, 2012. There's still plenty of snow from the pious winter.

Brian, it really wasn't that cool, maybe in the 60s but there was a pretty stiff breeze blowing across the top of the little peak.

Julian, the nearest road is around 25 miles away so most hang glider folks would most likely avoid carrying their stuff that far. But on the Rocky Mountain Front, there are some high cliffs that could be used for hang gliding but I've never seen anyone giving that a go.

Back