Critique Welcomed Nymphenburg Palace, Germany

John Holland

Last summer I was able to visit Germany - Munich area. One of the places to visit was the Nymphenburg Palace. Both images I used a polarizing filter to cut the glare (I was shooting mid day)

Nymphenburg_Palace_Jun14-095.jpg

Canon 7D, 24mm, f/8, 1/60 second

This is a pano consisting of 8 images (portrait orientation) stitched together. I also spent some time in Photoshop removing the "pesky tourists" :eek: in the image, and removing the restoration scaffolding that was in the way.

Nymphenburg_Palace_Jun14-Pano(001-007).jpg
Canon 7D, 24mm, f/8, 1/125 second

Agree with Rob.

Some say that photographing landscapes at midday or during harsh sunlight is taboo. Personally I don't agree if you do it right and your shots prove that.

Looks like pretty near high noon based on the minimal shadows. That polarizing filter has done a great job. Which is to say, you've done a great job with these photos through your composition and selection of tools. Very well done indeed, John!

I have to agree to all above, I normally don't agree to any of them :D, but in this case I have to. This is very well done and it's nice to see that you have used a polarizing filter. People seem to think that it is not necessary in digital. How wrong can they be. Beautiful scenery too and I like the colours of the first one very much.

Have to agree with all above comments, who is to say you shouldn't shoot LS at midday? Great work with the stitching and PS!

Thank you for all the comments/feedback. Both images are going to the printer, the pano image will print out at over 30" wide.

When I am traveling, I usually do not get to pick the times that I get to shoot, so I have learned to adjust and use what is available to me. For me, that adds just a bit of challenge to the task.

What more can I say. Gorgeous shots and very impressive post production (PP), John. Actually, thinking about it, especially for panoramics etc, I wonder if it is actually better to shoot when the sun is directly over and so avoid long and intrusive shadows. What do you think?

Pete, I think it depends on the situation. Sometime shadows can provide a nice sense of depth or size. If the shadows are intrusive or cover/hide features of the image I want to capture, then you have to adjust shooting time or try something like blending multiple exposures (i.e. HDR) - doing that with a multi image pano is really tough without a tripod.

Back