Oak.

Well folks,I may have egg on my face as I think I might have been mis-identifying that big old tree skeleton up on the Fell, I've just been looking at some pics of it again and it more likely to be beech, not ash. @Chris Bennett may well look at it and say "but, of course it is, can't you tell by the shape?...". The image of the small bark remnant might also give the game away, although there's very little bark left. Not sure why I've been thinking it's an ash all this time when the evidence was there. I'm not always as good as I'd like to be in identifying trees. (This particular tree I've never seen in any state other than its present one.)

Attachments

• IMG_5071.jpeg
    IMG_5071.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5072.jpeg
    IMG_5072.jpeg
    947.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5073.jpeg
    IMG_5073.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5075.jpeg
    IMG_5075.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 10
Some trees whose identity I am fairly confident about, as they're very much alive and having had the pleasure of seeing their canopies come and go with the seasons. The first pic is a few hundred metres up the lane, looking back towards our place (hidden beyond the telegraph pole on the left). The beautiful beeches in the near distance framing an ancient ash beyond (the ash is directly opposite us). One of the trees opposite the ash is a very old oak standing in our front garden. The second pic is one of those lovely beeches a bit closer in. Once again, I've never yet managed to fully capture their essence, but I'm not done trying 🤓

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 6
Well folks,I may have egg on my face as I think I might have been mis-identifying that big old tree skeleton up on the Fell, I've just been looking at some pics of it again and it more likely to be beech, not ash. @Chris Bennett may well look at it and say "but, of course it is, can't you tell by the shape?...". The image of the small bark remnant might also give the game away, although there's very little bark left. Not sure why I've been thinking it's an ash all this time when the evidence was there. I'm not always as good as I'd like to be in identifying trees. (This particular tree I've never seen in any state other than its present one.)

Very nice photos @Ralph Turner! Also for me, the one in colour in particular.

It's a beautiful series of treescapes, @Ralph Turner!

Digging into your account you made me discovered the Ancient And Sacred Trees Community and I subscribed to its newsletter. I'm not much into sacred things, but I think that the purpose is commendable.
To test myself with capturing trees in the afternoon, I tried to photograph the Platanus orientalis we have in Padua (born in 1680), but the photos are not worthy of sharing here, the light is stupid, the contrast is jarring, all you see is a tree walking on two legs with its mouth wide open saying "Oh!"

As for tree diseases, I knew about elm graphiosis, but not about ash disease. I am confident that as elms survived the pandemic, so will ash trees. But you never can tell.

Thank you for your kind words Gianluca. Much appreciated, as is your subscription to AST. Indeed, a worthy cause.
You sound like a very harsh self-critic... surely your images aren't as bad as you say 🤔🙂.
Maybe you are right regard the poor ash. All fingers and toes crossed. Mother Nature can be surprising resilient at times.

Thank you for your kind words Gianluca. Much appreciated, as is your subscription to AST. Indeed, a worthy cause.
You sound like a very harsh self-critic... surely your images aren't as bad as you say 🤔🙂.
Maybe you are right regard the poor ash. All fingers and toes crossed. Mother Nature can be surprising resilient at times.

It is actually your newsletter that I subscribed to. I am sorry for the confusion.

Well, I'm glad you've decided to share that amazing tree with us. The overcast weather has cast a soft light over this old character and has brought out it's subtler side, all those tones and textures describing a colour life, which look great in your pics. The choice of view point, angle of etc sets off it's character nicely. If I lived near this old timer, his presence would draw me back time after time with an itchy trigger finger, admiring it's moods over the seasons. Thank you for sharing.

Well, I'm glad you've decided to share that amazing tree with us. The overcast weather has cast a soft light over this old character and has brought out it's subtler side, all those tones and textures describing a colour life, which look great in your pics. The choice of view point, angle of etc sets off it's character nicely. If I lived near this old timer, his presence would draw me back time after time with an itchy trigger finger, admiring it's moods over the seasons. Thank you for sharing.

You are too kind. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any closer because the sycamore tree is fenced in.

Back