Olympus Trip Trip and out of date Sensia 100

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I will be writing a blog entry about this in time, but here are a few of the Trip/Sensia photos with a wee bit text. I went back to Dundee, to the scenes from my 1970s, using a 1970s camera. I'll be weaving it all into a narrative later.

The out of date Sensia film varied with each roll - some good, some very pinky-yellow, which is an odd combination. But that was anticipated. My own memories of my life circa 40 years ago are also oddly rendered in my brain. The Olympus Trip seems to have been the perfect choice of camera here. Digital wouldn't have done it, nor medium format film.

Here we go...

My gran on my mother's side used to work in the much-hated jute mills here in Lochee - in those days we used to talk about getting a bus to Dundee, but now Lochee has been engulfed by the city. I was tempted to put this in black and white, highlighting a feeling of Nazi workhouses, as that is how many remember them. The tower is Cox's Stack. Many people wanted it knocked down as it reminded them of the bad times, but the brick layers union persuaded the council to keep it, as it is a magnificent testament to their skills. I'm glad they kept it.

Coxs Stack x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

The street I lived in, Gray Street - home of the Gray Street Huns during the 70s when every street had a gang. We were a subsidiary of the Lochee Fleet, who were altogether more frightening. Yes folks, this is where I grew up:

Gray St 2_x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

I swear this looked identical 40 years ago (again, Gray Street)

Gray St 3_x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

The multis, or flats, where I had my paper round. I got up at 6am every day, seven days a week. Earned £3, and gave my mum £2. With the remaining £1 I saved up for my first guitar...my journey out of this world had begun...

The remaining shots today are from Balgay Hill, where we scattered our mum's ashes, overlooking the River Tay. Very emotional area for me. More later.

Take Me To The Bridge x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

roots x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

On Balgay Hill 1 x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

The spot where my mum lies:

Yellow x700 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

You can actually get into the enclosure round cox's Rob between 12 & 2 during the week. Keep meaning to go back but not had opportunity in ages. I like Balgay just ta the bridge theres a rather large weathered obelisk hat makes for a good foto and others in the old graveyard or hats left of it.

I grew up in Beechie Rob and went to School at St Mary's Lochee :) I know those streets well

Wonderful photo essay Rob,...very emotional! And the pictures are so evocative!

I've often thought about taking/acquiring pictures of where I lived in Rutherglen. (Can't actually take any pictures of Mitchell Street and the tenements now because it was razed back in the 80's I think and replaced with an abominable shopping arcade.)

Very cool that you did this!

Thanks, guys. I have a lot more images, and stories. Watch this space.

Davie, I was an alter boy at St Mary's Church. I went in to have a look around, but it was closed. So, I rang the priest's doorbell, and introduced myself. Turns out he was an alter boy at the same time! How our paths diverged! He stayed with the firm, but I embraced sex, drugs, baroque and roll :cool: That was quite a meeting.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I have a lot more images, and stories. Watch this space.

Davie, I was an alter boy at St Mary's Church. I went in to have a look around, but it was closed. So, I rang the priest's doorbell, and introduced myself. Turns out he was an alter boy at the same time! How our paths diverged! He stayed with the firm, but I embraced sex, drugs, baroque and roll :cool: That was quite a meeting.

You spoke to Aldo ? He's kinda always been seen as my uncle though he's not really... His sister Maria Elena is married to my uncle Charlie :)

Cheers, Hamish. Gave me a deeper appreciation of the value of photography. Not just my usual fancy abstracts or nice landscapes, but just straight shots which have a tremendous resonance for me, and which just might possibly connect with other people too.

Brilliant Rob - idea and execution

Cheers, Hamish. Gave me a deeper appreciation of the value of photography. Not just my usual fancy abstracts or nice landscapes, but just straight shots which have a tremendous resonance for me, and which just might possibly connect with other people too.

You know I'm a fan of compact cameras ... This is one o the reasons. For me, they help cut through the usual crap. It's just about the plain and simple shot. For me, if someone else can connect, great, but it's just the joy of taking a simple shot that I like that works for me ...
I seethe simplicity that I like in these photos ... He might hate me for saying it, but I own much of this to Brian. I look at Brian's photos and sometimes can just see what I think he likes about them ... Nothing complex or contrived. Just simple enjoyable photography ... From the photographers perspective enjoyable photography. I like seeing that! And I can see that here ...

Back