On this day in history

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
On this day (August 19) in 1839, France announced that artist Louis Daguerre (1787-1851) had invented the first photographic process, Daguerreotype, and publicly presented it as a “free gift to the world”.

468px-Louis_Daguerre_2.jpg

Portrait of Louis Daguerre (1787-1851)

Date 1844
Medium daguerreotype
Photographer Jean-Baptiste Sabatier-Blot (1801-1881)

The French physicist developed the process for transferring photographs onto silver-coated copper plates. His discovery was made by an accident, according to the writer Robert Leggat, who said Daguerre put an exposed plate in a chemical cupboard in 1835 only to later find it have developed a latent image.

1837-first-dagueer_2059331i.jpg

Louis Jacques Daguerre's first surviving daguerreotype image, of a collection of plaster casts on a window ledge, which he produced on a silver plate, in 1837

3253744672_280e1f8372_z.jpg

Abraham Lincoln, Congressman-elect from Illinois. Three-quarter length portrait, seated, facing front

Shepherd, Nicholas H., photographer.

[Springfield, Ill., 1846 or 1847]

quarter plate daguerreotype ; plate 4 1/4 x 3 1/4 in.

When I look at the early photos, whether they be Dags or tintypes or ambrotypes or whatever (because keep in mind, the heyday of the Daguerrotype was rather short--I think by about 1860 it had been supplanted) I can't help but feel I've been transported. Its an especially powerful feeling the older the photo is.

Thanks for posting this one, Chris.

Well reminded. I've never been face to face with a Dag, but I did see a BBC programme about them, and the quality looked stunning - much better than the same image in a book. They really do seem magical.

That photo of the dolls heads reminds me of something I have seen recently... He was obviously copying someone else that pesky Daguerre!

Sadly human nature has not changed, I suspect they had their own version of DPR down the pub. Who's got the biggest hoe or the longest parsnip.

Back