One System or Two?

Hi Beth,

That would be great. My email should be in my profile. It will be interesting how the image compares to the Nikon.

Regards

Milan
According to what Beth says and your comparisons evidently soon, I for one would like to see your results to such a comparison. Not necessarily the images, but your conclusion. I just wonder whether it'll be worth a dig into the xt2 or stay with the xt1 or rather both!

I hope to pick mine up next week. I will let you know what my conclusions are.
Sorry Milan, I did not want to push you in direction of xt2:D but merely meant the comparison between what Beth sent you of samples and your own old xt1 samples. I have at the moment also two systems, not to speak about others I know here, but the omd-em1 is a delight too. For my old manual lenses with its smallness, lightness and last but not least, its camera's stabilization. One drawback though, as you mentioned; two systems. But as others, a trifle younger than me are able to cope with the help of magicians:rolleyes:, well I'll probably may endure a little longer. All the best and congratulations on your purchase. Still cool up here!

Ivar, no worries mate!

I looked at my pictures in LR and found that in 4 years of owning the D800 and 2 years of the XT-1 I had taken 50% more pictures with the XT-1 in half the time. From what I have seen, and read, the XT-2 does not offer significant advantages in high ISO or dynamic range over the XT-1. Where it does step up is resolution and AF capability. If all I did was portraits then the XT-1 would suffice and my bank balance would be a lot healthier. I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes so the resolution is important to me.

Isn't it always cool up there? ;)

Ivar, no worries mate!

I looked at my pictures in LR and found that in 4 years of owning the D800 and 2 years of the XT-1 I had taken 50% more pictures with the XT-1 in half the time. From what I have seen, and read, the XT-2 does not offer significant advantages in high ISO or dynamic range over the XT-1. Where it does step up is resolution and AF capability. If all I did was portraits then the XT-1 would suffice and my bank balance would be a lot healthier. I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes so the resolution is important to me.

Isn't it always cool up there? ;)
Thanks a lot for the reply Milan. I'll stick to Fuji and Oly for a while since people are my main interest. No, it's not cool all the time, but just most of the time:D This coming season it is definitely cool.:eek:

It is a surprisingly closer run thing between the XT-1 and the XT-2 for the quality of image. Mind you I have only had a brief play in the garden today. The weekend may se a more serious foray, hopefully.

Here are a couple of images: the split images have the XT-2 on the left and are 100% crop in LR. I did not try any fancy things to equally size them. Sorry, beyond my LR skills! :(

Sign ISO 200 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr
Fuji 90mm f4.0

Palms Trunks by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr
Fuji 27mm f8.0

Oasis XT-2 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr
Fuji 27mm f8.0

Oasis XT-1 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr
Fuji 27mm f8.0

All at ISO 200. Virtually no processing ( a little sharpness and Provia film setting applied) to the raw files.

The XT-2 appears, to me at least, to be better at shadows and highlights. Colours are a bit better too. The XT-2 with grip handles nicely, especially as I have long fingers..

Thank you Milan. I cannot actually see any significant change of quality in those two. Not enough for me though, to expand my arsenal at this moment. I have reached a conclusion, the fujis for landscapes and greater importance, Olympus omd-em1 for street mostly. I actually carry around an xt10 with a 85mm oly on it, an xt1 with a fx 35mm/f2 and an Olympus em1 with a 17mm/f1,8 fx18 is tucked in there too. The zooms are still on my shelf in the office. All the best to you. Looking forward to your results with the xt2. Take care and thanks again!

One , two or three taht's minimal compared to my issues :D

But then I mostly shoot LF, but I have Linhof/Wista, Pacemaker & Super Graphic, older Graflexes, MPP, Seneneca (two different sizes,, Agfa Ansco. And then Pentax M42 & K but easily adapted to CAnon Eos mount.

Luckily I can make adapters to allow my Linhof/Wista lens boads to be used with other cameras all but the Graflex but then I have separtate sets of lenses.

Ian

Beautifully done and softly. Reminds me of the words in a song; " Bring it to me softly.."Very nice Milan, but - ( there's always a butt ):D what would it be like :rolleyes: with an xt1?

congrats on your new purchase.

the biggest differences i've noticed between the x-t1 and x-t2 are the autofocus speed and image quality at higher isos. at iso 200 the differences are negligible. but if you purchased the battery grip and use the battery booster (which quickly drains both batteries) you'll find the autofocus speed and evf are greatly improved.

Hi Beth,
I have the grip but have not used the boost mode yet. Limited time and opportunity. The standard AF is better even without the grip. I am finding the colour rendition slightly different too (better) on the XT-2. I did not see much difference in image quality difference through to ISO 3200. However, the resolution difference is noticeable throughout. Now to get out and shoot some landscapes and see how it goes!
Thank you.

One for Ivar,

The 90mm on the XT-1. Same aperture and ISO though the lighting was a little darker and it was a bit windy. That meant the result may not be as good as I could get. Perhaps another day I will set both up together. Sorry ran out of time today.

Well thank you Milan and all the best. I think I'll stick to my xt1 and an Oly manual lens 85mm/f2.0 a great combination almost like your 90mm I guess.

Back