Critique Welcomed Oot The Windae (o' The Train)

Brian Moore

Took the train up to Los Angeles the other week. Wandered aboot fur a few oors. Shank's Mare. Then hame again. Olympus XA and Arista EDU 400 film processed in Rodinal.

A Woomin Havin' A Smoke Upon the Bridge that Straddles the Tracks at Irvine Station

The Locomotive Approacheth

Oot the Windae: A Few Folk At The Community of Anaheim Methinks

Oot the Windae: Construction of a Terminal That Will Serve As A Transportation Center for People Who Wish to Access Public Transportation Near Anaheim Stadium (Baseball) and The Honda Center (Ice Hockey, Concerts, etc.)

Oot The Windae: Mair Folk; This Time A Gathering At A Kirk (it was Sunday) in Buena Park Methinks

Oot The Windae: Mair Folk; This Time Ootside Their Hoose In A Typical Working Class Southern California Suburb Whose Name I dinnae Know

Oot The Windae: The Fruits of The Religious Tagger's Labors

Oot The Windae: The Los Angeles River

The Train Hame

Last edited:
Oot The Windae: The Los Angeles River - looks timeless Brian

Lovely set

So great to see a photo shoot of LA that doesn't include a long avenue with palm trees. This is a fantastic set, Brian!!!! A touch of the Mr Pedro Askew in the toning, which I like. The second-last, as Chris says, is a classic, Brian. The positioning of the car is masterly. I can't praise it enough. And the others are no far behind. Love the big baby face watching the train approachething!

Wonderful set Brian and Rob has has highlighted my two favourites from a superb series; the bridge with the reflections from the glass etc and the baby, with one eye covered. The last is highly evocative of the journey as well I think. There is something that is enforced somehow about the composition and the opportunistic content of photos taken from the train that is very appealing I think. One is often in a certain frame of mind and this guides ones view and choice of images. Do you know what I am trying to get at?

So great to see a photo shoot of LA that doesn't include a long avenue with palm trees. This is a fantastic set, Brian!!!! A touch of the Mr Pedro Askew in the toning, which I like. The second-last, as Chris says, is a classic, Brian. The positioning of the car is masterly. I can't praise it enough. And the others are no far behind. Love the big baby face watching the train approachething!
Thank you kindly, Rob. Much appreciated.

Wonderful set Brian and Rob has has highlighted my two favourites from a superb series; the bridge with the reflections from the glass etc and the baby, with one eye covered. The last is highly evocative of the journey as well I think. There is something that is enforced somehow about the composition and the opportunistic content of photos taken from the train that is very appealing I think. One is often in a certain frame of mind and this guides ones view and choice of images. Do you know what I am trying to get at?
Thank you very much, Pete. As to your frame of mind comment, I'm not sure I understand. However, for me on this trip my frame of mind--while aboard the train-- was to snap pictures of seldom seen yet common things I saw oot the windae. Things are built to face roads,...but not railroads. So my thought was to document a wee bit of the local area's backside.

Brian I just love the way "non digital" screams from this excellent set. I really like the Kirk Gathering, a brave composition with a grand level of contrast. And the river is beautiful with lots to look around at as it fades beautifully into the distance.
What gives the images the lovely tone Brian; all post processing?

Last edited:
Brian I just love the way "non digital" screams from this excellent set. I really like the Kirk Gathering, a brave composition with a grand level of contrast. And the ricer is beautiful with lots to look around at as it fades beautifully into the distance.
What gives the images the lovely tone Brian; all post processing?
Thank you very much, Tom. I used Lightroom's "Creamtone" filter, which I set for each image and then adjusted various sliders to suit my eye. Of course, that was all built on top of the film image, which imparts its own flavors to begin with. Thanks again, Tom!

Out of interest Brian, do you do colour scans of monochrome negatives?
I've done that from time-to-time, Pete. My scanner developed a bug a while back such that it refuses to crfeate B&W TIFFs. But it will do color TIFFs. So if I want a TIFF of a B&W image I tell the scanner its a color neg. Why do you ask, Pete?

Superb set Brian. Touches in each one which draws and interest. Like the near wall in the fifth, the car in the second to last. Excellenti,

Back