Opinions On First Test Shot Using External Flash

Fair play for getting almost identical to the same pose as before, looks like you've really studied that positioning.
It's looks almost like you done it at the same time! That's excellent David! :)

Looks like the result has worked out well. In regards to the ISO.... Even at 400 you wouldn't notice much difference with your snapper! The image we're looking at is far from 'noise identifiable'

More please!!

I think its also due to shooting in my smallish living room so I can't really put anything anywhere else lol although I have to manually focus then hit the timer lol

I like lower ISOs, I guess I might increase it up a bit, however it seems that I can get the result I want to get from ISO 100, the room was basically dark so with any additional fill light I could just dial down the flash slightly.

I will do some more at some point, I am just experimenting with the setup and the limits I have with it, its pretty fun though as its interesting to get certain shadows as well as a sharp image with good DOF.

I actually went into a local camera shop today, they had a box of film camera bodies and some random lenses all for £5 each, I think I will go back tomorrow as I saw a zoom lens which might be interesting to use - I have actually found that I don't really need it to auto focus so I might even look at some manual lenses. I will have a look to see what they have got - might just get a PK adaptor for the NEX to try out a few cheaper PK mount lenses as well, I don't really need to spend too much though as even the 18-55mm kit lens seems to be pretty good in terms of quality when stopped down.

There is the 18-105mm lens, but that has a plastic mount so not really an upgrade from what I currently has, although gives slightly more reach.

I have the 18-105 lens that came with the D7000, yes it has a plastic mount, it's strong and certainly a good all rounder. They produce great results and and are not that expensive either.
For what it's worth, I'd consider getting on of those David.

I have the 18-105 lens that came with the D7000, yes it has a plastic mount, it's strong and certainly a good all rounder. They produce great results and and are not that expensive either.
For what it's worth, I'd consider getting on of those David.

Thanks for that, I will have a look at the 18-105 then, I think the 2 lenses I would go with would be the 18-105 or the 55-300 owing to the fact that I already have 18-55mm covered with the kit lens though. I will have a look into it a bit more, there isn't much rush though, my 18-55mm kit lens has a plastic mount, its sturdy but I still prefer the more solid feel that the 35mm f1.8g has (which has a metal mount).

I will research into it and report back lol :D

Ok, ive just attached my Nikon to M42 lens adaptor (I used the one without the corrective lens this time as I didn't need infinity focus) - as everything is manually set eg ISO 100, 1/100s, I just set the lens to f8 and focused it manually.

The Helios 44-2 is a 58mm lens so that works out at 87mm equivalent due to the crop sensor - will process the photos and see what they are like, I also bolted on the 55mm f1.4 lens as well :D

Here are the test shots - please note that these are manually focused without me being in the frame - not ideal but the larger DOF @ f8 helped! I decided to take some more photos as I am standing next to a window with the blinds down which gives additional fill light on 1 side with the flash being on the other.

Cosina 55mm f1.4 @ f1.4

Cosina 55mm f1.4 @ f8

Helios 44-2 58mm f2 @ f8

I also reshot with the 18-55mm @ f11 this time - doesn't really give any better image, seems that f8 is pretty good

The sharpest lens I think I used was the Cosina 55mm f1.4 stopped down to f8, its still my favorite lens I actually own. I did also try and use a 135mm lens but thats too long, I also used a tele convertor on the Helios to make it a 116mm lens but thats a bit too long as well, might have been ok if it wasn't on a crop sensor camera.

There is nothing wrong with nikons plastic mount lenses for the most part.
Also, 55mm, equiv to 80mm ish is perfect for portraits ... I shoot all of my studio shots at f/11 ish with my 85mm so that 55 should be ideal up until the point that you have any commercial requirements ... And even then it would probably be for for this purpose!

Under the circumstances if you feel you need something longer experimenting with cheap m42 glass isn't a bad shout... The distance to which you will be able to focus will be limited of course, but should give you an idea of the effect of a longer focal length before splashing the bigger cash

Due to the fact that I am shooting manually with just the flash being adjusted for exposure it seems that I can get away with using the non corrected M42 adaptor (owing to flange distance), my 55mm lens is my favorite lens, I might be tempted to find a cheaper short m42 zoom lens and give that a go as well. I was aiming for around an 80-85mm equivalent focal length so the 55mm on crop seems a pretty good option :) I might also keep an eye out for some older Nikon mount lenses that cover 55 and longer so that I can ensure I could focus at infinity.

Back