Organ music for fragile ghosts

Gianluca Drago

The border between town and country is a moving target. Over the last century it has continued to widen where I live, and today, in that no-man's land, you find things you don't always know how to place historically. They are relics. Organ music for fragile ghosts.

Attachments

• dc-lx100m2-pan0250.original.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-pan0250.original.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 11
  • dc-lx100m2-pan2015.original.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-pan2015.original.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 12
  • dc-lx100m2-PAN0241.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-PAN0241.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 12
  • dc-lx100m2-pan025.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-pan025.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 12
Kudos to you for recording these scenes, Gianluca.
I think it so important to record these sort of everyday remembrances of the past before they have gone, be it demolished, gentrified or otherwise had the soul torn out of it. Many times have I seen a building, a sign or shopfront and thought, "I must take photo of that one day". All too often that 'one day' never came because whatever it was had disappeared, seemingly overnight. I try not to make that mistake now.

Thank you, @Peter Roberts. I have a site, started about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it would be of interest to you, because it is something of very local interest as it documents the interaction that took place between architecture and the other arts (sculpture, painting and so on) during the 20th century, here in Padua, Italy, where I live. My equipment and skills are limited, so the site is what it is, but I have had extremely positive feedback from my fellow citizens. We often walk the streets without looking and even when we do look we are left with more questions than answers. The site is only in Italian, I apologise for that: "Padova decorata" https://www.padova-decorata.it

And if you want to smile, this is an introductory conversation made by artificial intelligence about the decorated Padua site: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SCKfwqS-HC7EuTqmBZyaLazqorhr48SG/view?usp=drive_link

2024-10-07_20-24.jpg

I have a site, started about a year ago......... https://www.padova-decorata.it
Oh, Gianluca. What can I say?
I visited your site and found it awe inspiring and something to aspire to. I got the strong impression that it was a labour of love, it true pean of praise to your home city. I hope that doesn't embarrass you but that's what I feel about it.
The only downside is that I showed it to my wife who is now pestering for us to visit Padua!

Peter, your words of enthusiasm comfort me so much.
It was an idea I had been having for many years, but could only be realised when I bought myself a small camera that I could carry with me at all times. Within three months 90% of the site was ready because I knew what I wanted to do. By far the hardest work was not taking the photos, but researching the places to be photographed, studying the documentation on authors and dates (in libraries, archives, bookshops, old online magazines), editing the photos, building and maintaining the site, answering to emails...
That's how I see it: for me it was fun, during which I learned a lot about my town and had the opportunity to meet some very interesting people. I hope that at least a little bit of what I did will also help my fellow citizens to learn to appreciate what they see (without looking at it) every day and perhaps to fight to save it.

To your wife: Padua is a cute, small city, but it is not Venice, however, Venice is only a few kilometres from here, so if you plan to drop by, tell me and I'll invite you for dinner (they say I'm good at cooking, not at taking photos).

:)

Thank you, Detlef! The 3rd one is also my favourite (and in some vague way reminds me of organ pipes, hence the reference to the music in my title).
Maybe also the area XXX where you leave may deserve a "Decorated XXX" site?
EDIT: Now I see that you are from Berlin, of course a ‘Decorated Berlin’ site would be an incredible treasure!

Back