Padlock

john clarke

This is the padlock on my garden shed. Tatty isn't it! This was taken with my Sony NEX-5, which I have just bought. Not really done much for quite a number of years, but hoping to do more. What does anyone think?

myrusty-1.jpg
[/IMG]

John

Thats nice matey...
I like this sort of thing, details highlighted by having large portions of the shot out of focus...
do you post process at all? ... id be tempted to make it a bit grungy and harder with a bit of contrast ... and maybe black and white ...

Be interested to hear how you get on with the nex camera over time

Welcome to the forum anyway
we arnt quite as strict as aos regarding our welcome section, but if you want to introduce your self in a bit more in there that would be lovely ... theres a section for your kit too should you wish to expand further ... but yeah, as i said, no pressure :)

Thats nice matey...
I like this sort of thing, details highlighted by having large portions of the shot out of focus...
do you post process at all? ... id be tempted to make it a bit grungy and harder with a bit of contrast ... and maybe black and white ...

Be interested to hear how you get on with the nex camera over time

Welcome to the forum anyway
we arnt quite as strict as aos regarding our welcome section, but if you want to introduce your self in a bit more in there that would be lovely ... theres a section for your kit too should you wish to expand further ... but yeah, as i said, no pressure :)

Hamish, am just trying to understand RAW data, etc., but need to know how to get RAW from the Sony?, does that make any sense? instead of just JPEGs. Have posted in the welcome section.

Off the top of my head, go.. [menu] [image size] then set [raw] ... You might need to use your imagination on the menu names but it will be something like that ...
Raw requires software/codec even to view the image, so b warned, without that untapped you might get stuck.. Although I believe the camera comes with something??
Need any more help, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks Hamish. Will investigate camera settings further. But will probably stick with jpeg for the time being.

Last edited:
Raw opens up a lot of doors regarding quality, but means every photo need process of some sorts ... A happy medium is to set the camera to shoot raw AND jpeg ... This of course uses more memory on the card but gives you the benefit of being able to compare the effects of post process on both, side by side! This is what I did maybe 4 years ago ... Although back then I had to literally take the photo twice as my camera only allowed raw and low quality jpeg to be saved at the same time ... These days, and I'm sure your camera does this, it's often possible to save a raw file along side a full quality large jpeg!
Dedicated photo editing software like lightroom, aperture, capture one etc that work on a principle of "import" and "export" as opposed to "open" and "save" make the transition to raw seamless, especially if you download the correct codec for windows that allows raw images to be seen as thumbnails within windows.
When the time comes, I recommend Photoshop lightroom, it makes photo editing Childs play, there are loads of tutorial videos on YouTube to help, we can help etc ... But once the photos are imported, you realise that the develop tools of lightroom are all on just one column of sliders and switches ... More the sliders back and forth and see the effect ... There is still a learning curve ... But it is by no means a steep one IMO ....
If and when the time comes, If you need any help, you know where we are!

Thanks Hamish. The Sony NEX can be set for RAW and JPEG. Also Sony support RAW images with a download which has been done. So, I am now just having a play with images in RAW. Thanks for your help. I'm sure it won't be long before I am asking more questions.

Regards

John :D

Hello Pete.

Well I took this image today as a RAW digital file, and made it monochrome with the Sony RAW tools that came with my camera. I was just playing about with various results and this was the outcome. I thought it looked like one of those puzzles where you have to follow the right path to find the centre, :D you know what I mean?

Regards

John

It's fairly limitless the opportunity for digital editing ... And a great deal of fun working out what works for you!
Good to see you getting stuck in and experimenting with the possibilities ... Keep us posted on progress won't you :)

Back