Pasque Flower

Ralph Thornton

We call these "crocus" along the Front Range in Montana but they are more correctly identified at Pasque Flowers. They bloom in spring usually in late Aril or May. When photographing wildflowers I usually try to capture some essence of the habitat or other flora (like the bear berry in this photo) that may associate with the primary subject.

Canon XTi, 17-85 mm IS at 73 mm and 1/20 sec, f20, ISO 100.

pasqueflower.jpg

Lovely shot, nicely exposed and lots of detail.

Ralph - very nice - hand held, or do you have a tripod that goes nice and low?

He lies on a goat skin rug I heard! :) Sorry Ralph!!

For that shot a goat skin rug might have been nice. I was laying (lying?) on the rocky, dusty ground with ants crawling all around and deer scat for cushioning. I used my elbows and body as the "tripod."

This photo was captured in the first month I owned my XTi back in 2007. I had shot film for some time but only had a little 3 mp point and shoot for a digital camera until I bought my XTi and sold my film camera. The photo convinced me of the quality of the IS systems in modern DSLRs. The lens is an EF-S 17-85 IS.

There is a lot to be said for vibration reduction systems! its amazing the difference it makes i think ... i get most out of it in low light situations being able to shoot very comfortably at a 60th at 200mm in low lit churches at weddings for example is very useful i find!

How did anyone make a decent photo before all this technology? < ; )

Have you tried motor sport photography ... without vibration reduction, and without a digital camera ... i just wouldnt bother trying if im honest :)

Stunning colors and textures Ralph, love the composition as well! Great capture.

Thanks for sharing!

IS/VR rules :)

Back