Critique Welcomed Peering Through the Fog of Time

Wes Hall

I've been enthralled with the fog that's rolled in this weekend, I have a love of the deep atmosphere this weather brings to what I find a drab and dreary isle.

I set out with two cameras over the last two days, seeking to capture some worthwhile images. The goal was initially to test the effects of screw on filter effects (artificial effects) with the mystique the fog created (natural effects). I've split the images up into those created using ND x6 filter + circular polariser and 80b filters stacked, which helped to create interesting mood in black and white files, whilst a lovely colour shift in others.

Fog Stroll.jpg
Fog Rescue.jpgFog Coastal Rescue Team.jpgTurquoise Fog Line.jpgTurqoise Fog Bank.jpgTurqouise Fog Lake.jpgTurqouise Fog Silhouette.jpg

The second set of images made use of a softon filter, creating a soft focus effect. These images managed to help me create a look back through time as I feel they convey the deep past of the local village.

Fog Mill.jpg Cafe Fog Forum.jpg Hanging Tree Fog.jpg

I enjoyed creating these images, and would love to hear what they perhaps evoked in viewers. I've a lot of effect filters to play around with at the moment, so any tips of how to make use on digital and film will be appreciated.

Wes.

What a great set of images. I'm particularly keen on the color ones in particular image number 6 from the top. The orangy-pink tones of the sky compliment and contrast the gray-blue of the water to magnificent effect. However, all of these are worthy images. Nicely-done, Wes.

Thanks Brian, number 6 is also a favorite of others I've shown these to, and one of mine. My personal favourite of the colour ones is number 5, I find the blend of details and hue shift leads the viewer to see more, kinda realistic-fantastical.

Have you experimented with screw on filters before? I've a few to fit the Sigma DP1 and looking to see how it shifts the images I create.

Beautiful images, all. The colour are very nice, but my favourite is the second softon image. Softon is a new word for me. Please tell me the don’t have a hardon version!

Great work, Wes. Do some more, if you can.

What a great set, Wes.

I like the way that fog abstracts things from their surroundings and creates a calmness as well. I think that comes across especially in the B&W street scenes where the sense of quiet and calm radiate from the images. Lovely stuff.

Back