Peleton of One

Brian Moore

Rodinal125for6mins019-1.jpg

Early morning, Seal Beach, California. This is on Pacific Coast Highway, just as it winds through the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station and Anaheim Bay. PCH is a great ribbon of highway for cyclists.

I had actually stopped at this spot to take a picture or two of the marshland, which would be over my left shoulder as I took this photo. (However, my marshland pictures didn't turn out too great; I was shooting those with a Rolleiflex, but square images didn't suit the panoramic vista.)

I turned to check for coppers (I was parked in a forbidden area) and saw this cyclist in the distance. I thought he might give me a good image once he got closer. So I took up a position and waited, my XA--which I had put in my pocket--at the ready, until he got to where you see him now (and where he will now remain forever), whereupon I snapped the picture.

Olympus XA. Legacy Pro 400 film. Developed in Rodinal 1:25 for 6 mins.

What perfect timing Brian. The rider is flowing on a line precisely into the RH corner and I like the countering line formed by the LH verge into the middle distance. And what's more, I even learned a new word (and how to spell it - Peloton! :) ).

Not tried the Digital Ice out yet then!! ;)

Thanks a lot, Pete. I just felt I needed to wait for him. The rest fell into place without conscious manipulation on my part. (I could have used one of Darren's eyeball-mounted bubble levels, though, as it appears that my horizon flows downhill to the right.) No wait,...this was a deliberate conceptualization intended to represent man's inevitable descent into,....Och,...never mind.

Digital Ice,...? Did you happen to spot any lint on this one? ;)

Thanks again, Pete.

Thanks very much, Paul. No,...I didn't do any PP. It's how it came out of the camera. Or,...maybe more correctly,...how it came out of the developing tank. Thanks again.

Yep there's a natural vignette on this shot - adds to the impact

Very nice timing - It's great when you can see a picture coming together, AND have time to get the camera out and everything lined up :D

I would make this a strong sepia tint electronically. It would enhancet it!

Back