Peshastin Pinnacles

Gary R. Smith

These sandstone slabs are part of the 40 (+/-) million year-old Chumstick Formation. They were originally horizontal. We stopped to check them out on Monday May 20th on our way back from a quick visit to Liberty Orchards in Cashmere, WA.pinnacles1.jpg
pinnacles3.jpg

It's kinda funny... these sit right off the highway and if you blink you'll miss them. We recently picked up a small book called: OREGON ROCKS! and liked it so much I contacted the author to see if she had another called: WASHINGTON ROCKS! - well, there is one but by another author albeit in the identical format (which we liked). So, when we travel, we try to check to see if there's any geological rocks of interest. For my 70th birthday (in 4 weeks) we'll be stopping by the BIG OBSIDIAN FLOW.

It's kinda funny... these sit right off the highway and if you blink you'll miss them. We recently picked up a small book called: OREGON ROCKS! and liked it so much I contacted the author to see if she had another called: WASHINGTON ROCKS! - well, there is one but by another author albeit in the identical format (which we liked). So, when we travel, we try to check to see if there's any geological rocks of interest. For my 70th birthday (in 4 weeks) we'll be stopping by the BIG OBSIDIAN FLOW.
Great stuff. I'm looking forward to a new series from you on ROCKS.

That's worth a visit for sure!

I like rocks. Them’s good rocks, well photographed. Very nice, Gary.
Thanks Rob! I like rocks too :) It's easy to get good shots of columnar basalt in the Columbia River Gorge but I'm looking forward to getting some obsidian shots in a few weeks. Of course, obsidian is really glass I suppose?

Back