Photography Friends, a personal (re)view

Kev Pugh

I thought I would put together a few words about ‘Photography Friends’, a photography based forum that I am a member of that can be found at Photography Friends

As we all know, there are many forums out there in the inter-world, many are photography but nearly all are of these are aimed at the more ‘proficient’ photographer. There are those for the more ‘techy’ bods and then those that are merely ‘ego’ outlets and platforms where individuals feel the need to boast and big up their ‘kit’ and their photos; you know the sites, we’ve probably all visited them at one time or another before finding somewhere like RPF.

PF01.jpg

Anyway, I found Photography Friends a while back after I followed a link that appeared on my Facebook page, I liked what I saw and joined. There weren’t many members then, infact I think it totalled about 75 so the site was very much a new guy on the block.

What I found, was a friendly site where the limited number of members all had a similar reason for being there. This was nothing to do with posting our images in the hope that everyone would give the big WOW and boost our egos, but more because they wanted to find someone local to them to go to play with and probably that we all lacked the confidence to go to those sites that aren’t friendly, are overly critical, negative and elitist........ring any bells?

Adam, the site owner set up the site basically to find someone to go out shooting with, someone local to him and that remains the aim of the site, it’s membership is all UK and the idea still remains for people to pass their details of their location so that members can interact and meet up and Adam actively encourages members to do that on registering and several have met up and arranged shoots together, and the membership is growing, is wide and varied from real beginners to those who are doing it for real, offering advice and encouragement.
I know there are Camera Clubs and Photographic Societies around that do this but I found that the rigid application of ‘The Rules of Photography’ were a little too confining for my liking. This site has a friendly feel to it, the home page shows a welcome message, thumbnails of recently added images, a latest activity box and a twitter like post area called the ‘Wire’. So you can keep up to date with current posts and new members etc.
Without going into the site make up deeply, it does everything any other visual forum does. Allows you to interact with other members, post images, comment on others images and posts etc. and hopefully become friends with others. It remains a friendly place where comments posted are constructive and helpful.
The image area shows ‘techy’ details in the main for those who want to know and naturally there is a like button and space for comments.

PF04.jpg

Searches can be made from the profile menu allowing several search criteria.
From a personal point of view if you are UK based and looking for someone to go out to play with then you might find them on here, if you are experienced then someone there with less confidence could benefit from your help and if you are a beginner it’s a good forum to start on.

Kev

It does sound a good idea ... i would join, but i dont really have the time ...
I tried contributing to x100 enthusiasts ... but find my self forgetting to post after getting wrapped up here with one thing or another :)

Like many forums and social sites there are a number of passive members, some may call them lurkers others may just accept they are there and will when they can, afterall we all have busy lives, I'm a member of another club it's called society but I don't always want to be walking the streets, but I do go out once in a while.............or is that a crap analagy?:D

Yea Pete haven't you heard of the BIG society? its the one where all the haves get more and the rest of do more for less lol ;) and you're right it'll never catch on

Back