Critique Welcomed Picturing Heat

Brian Moore

@Gianluca Drago's "Heat Photography" post reminded me that I have a few images that I think suggest warm days.

These were made with various cameras and various film stocks. With one or two exceptions they are from in and around Huntington Beach, California. Vintage 2014 - 2019 I think. I've posted a few of these over the years but I suspect the links have broken due to my haphazard filing.

Heat Photography

Now I am speechless. This gallery of images, even in its apparent stylistic and media inconsistency, is an extremely interesting sequence of images. I'll try to comment, picture by picture, on the thoughts they provoke in me.

No. 1 - I love the geometry, the wide-angle lens, the knee of the passerby, the flare, the manhole cover. The cars that at 90 degrees intersect the pedestrian's path, the light. Too bad the little dogs can't be seen well, but amen. Great.

No. 2 - I wish I could see it better, it's a little small. It has something surreal about it, something reminiscent of the atomic age, the extraterrestrials that we are. There is also a spaceship umbrella and a traffic light that handles interstellar traffic.

No. 3 - Not sure I like it, not sure I have something to say about it.

No. 4 - Artistic. It has a high level of abstraction while being human-centered. A photo that could lend itself to several interpretations, but very specific ones. Looking at it I feel that I am that person depicted and like him I do not know what experience I am having. It has something dreamlike and universal about it.

No. 5 - Definitely an interesting shot. The air is textural, pregnant with moist heat. But personally it does not touch me, perhaps because I am afraid of water.

No. 6 - This is one of the series: Brian's wonderful little flawed imperfect masterpieces! Delicious! It's what you want to dream about every night when you dream. Thumbs up.

No. 7 - Like the one above, but it seems a little more contrived.

No. 8 - I don't know.

No. 9 - It's difficult for me.

No. 10 - OK, I know some people have better pectoral muscles than I do (If I have to make an eyeball statistic: 95% of them), but I don't need to be reminded of that every day. My smoking style anyway is more elegant than his (at least I think so).

No. 11 - I don't know why I am reminded of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now, it must be the flags or the bald head on those masculine shoulders. Nice photo with those Napalm flames of the girl in the foreground. Thumbs up.

Brian, you certainly succeeded in photographing the heat in an artistic way. Congratulations.

Now I am speechless
Only on 3, 8 and 9 I think. 😋

Some people have good pectorals while others are elegant smokers. Elegant smokers with good pectorals are a rare breed.

It is so refreshing to get thoughtful and critical feedback, Gianluca. Thank you for taking the time to consider each photo.

Back