Poinsettia Fire - Carlsbad

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
This fire was way to close for comfort, but now that the smoke has cleared, it's amazing to see how near the fire came to so many buildings, and what a superb job our firefighters did in keeping those buildings from burning.

The fire raced West, up the canyons, through the tinder try brush - it hopped 4 lane roads with ease, and scorched some 600 acres.

What's left is eerie, barren and dusty - with the screeching of distant smoke alarms from burned-out homes, echoing over the desolate landscape.

(Click on any image for a larger version)

Looking East from El Camino Real

Looking North-East from El Camino Real

Fried Succulents - Looking East from El Camino Real

North up El Camino Real

Fire Line - El Camino Real

Destroyed Home - Poinsettia Ln

North Side of Poinsettia Ln

Ridge-line - N of Poinsettia Ln

Tree Line - N of Poinsettia Ln

Burned Tree - Poinsettia Ln

Destroyed Industrial Building - South of Palomar Airport Rd

All shots X-T1 and 10-24mm Lens - Velvia film profile.

Flickr image album here

Great series, Chris. Shame about the homes lost/people displaced and, I understand, one life lost. They're thinking it was arson now?

Excellent Chris, love the tones and colours of the images. You have brought alive the reality of these bush fires and from these, I for one can see how brutal and scary fire can be when out of control. Sad to here someone lost a life.

Thanks everyone

Everything is quiet now on this fire - waiting to hear what the cause was. Could be someone throwing away a cigar butt on the golf course! :mad:

They did find a body in a canyon, thought to be a homeless person - but they are unsure if the fire killed them

Schools re-open today - Aviara Oaks had the closest shave, the fire burned right up to their fence, and was stopped my the firefighters

On shots 2 and 4 you can see how the defensible space idea helped save buildings - they plant succulent ground cover out 100ft from buildings to act as a fire break - it really works

Breathtaking series of such a tremendous ordeal, very good work of high class documentation. Sad though with all this devastation.

Back