Quick test of new old camera

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Bought Rhona a Canon AE-1 from a local charity shop for £35, including a Sigma "mini zoom" 35-85, 2.8-4 lens. Before sending it off to her in London, I thought I'd quickly run a film through it, a cheap Fuji Superia 200. Being me, I forgot to set the ISO to 200, and shot at 400. I didn't realise this until after getting the film developed at Boots. But, as this was just a test run, it doesn't matter. The camera works.

It's a really beautiful camera, that somehow convinces you it is all metal, which is not the case. The controls are simple and easy to use. I just set the lens on A, set the speed to 250, and started firing as I walked into town to Boots for processing. I wouldn't mind having one of these cameras. With a better lens and some decent film, it would be very enjoyable to use. The FD lenses are not expensive either.

The shots were not really composed, just a quick glance, and fire. But I quite like some of them. Some colours came out better than others. I hope for more from the reds, but the film was inexpensive. In no particular order:

1. Aids Bench - to remember those no longer with us:

bench.jpg

2. Road Bike:

bike.jpg

3. Pansies or primulas?

flower box.jpg

4. Grasses:

grasses.jpg

5. Hire me. I boosted the yellows in this one. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself, as the yellow was really dull. But it has unbalanced the picture.

Hire Me.jpg

6. On The Road:

holding hands.jpg

7. Modern Art Gallery:

scomo.jpg

8. Show Me A Sign:

signs.jpg

Cheers, Pete. As I like the camera so much, last night I bought one on eBay for £65, but the slightly upgraded AE-1 Program, with 50mm 1.8 lens, allegedly in excellent condition.

. Nice clarity and contrast in some of those images Rob. I have the FTb here which is slightly earlier, built like a tank and feels as heavy. But they certainly look the part and of course the FD lens works well on digital cameras.

I've not come across the FTb, Julian. Nice to shoot film again. I took 300 shots with my DPOQ while in London for three days earlier this week, and I can't be bothered sitting ploughing through them with SPP then Lightroom. I'll get around to it someday. I did one, the hotel room shot, then got bored. A change is as good as a rest.

Good bargain there Rob and a nice test. I believe you'll send her the latter one with the 50mm, right? Had one myself way back and have one on the shelf here, a Canon EOs 650 in mint condition. The very first Canon with autofocus and as you say, built as a tank. Beautiful and heavy. There sits an EF 85mm/1,8 on it. Wonder what I'll get for that one?

Lovely stuff Rob - you're lucky that Boots still do dev

Most places her in CA have killed their film labs due to lack of business - not many left now

Back