quinault rainforest, olympic np

Beth Carter

taken on a hike in the rainforest in washington. they don't build forests like this at home.
fuji gfx 50r & 32-64mm.

51547014127_8d4663690c_c.jpg

I really like this image, Beth. I saw it this morning and it came back to me several times throughout the day. It is especially that fern leaf taking the vertical scene that caught my attention. What a beautiful choice of contrasts and what muted color harmonies for a very striking landscape. The humidity of the forest can be felt even from here.

thanks gianluca, rob and brian. i struggle with woodland photography. i think most of it is because there's so much going on in east coast forests. the undergrowth is insanely thick. i try to work on woodlands when i go west. like brian, i never know how to frame it or what to include. this shot was an easy one to find and shoot, though i've got dozens more from the same hike that just didn't work out.

Amazing tonal range Beth. I took struggle with woods and forest scenes, and often use ferns to focus my images. It's a beauty alright.

Looks a lot like the Hoh. Did a relatively short hike in there years ago. Your shot really captures it!
i can't figure out what the difference is between the different rainforests on the peninsula. i know this was quinault cause i didn't visit hoh that year. i was passing through the tacoma area and was a few days ahead of schedule in my trip. so i decided to make my first trip out to olympic. i only saw quinalt that time, but went back the next year to see more. the hike to cape flattery is one of my favorite short hikes in the country. i still haven't seen hurricane ridge, it's was closed for construction and then it burned down.

Back