Recommend me: 35mm camera

I am poking my nose in here to point out 2 models that were not yet recommended;

Canon AE-1 - it is fairly cheap and gives you plenty of features as well as mirror-lock-up (I think it is a must) which happens to be the only disadvantage I have found in the spotmatic, as it did not come with this feature.

Canon F1 - This is my all time favorite 35mm SLR, it is a superb camera which will cost slightly more than the AE-1 and has even more features including replaceable viewfinders. When this camera was released it had more add-ons and accessories than any SLR ever made.

I will 2nd Hamish's recommendation for M42 lenses as I have found that they are more plentiful and often less expensive. If you go the canon route you can purchase converters for pretty cheap to mount M42 lenses to the canon body.

Here's mine :)

Old Faithful :)

5590427336_3370f8dee3_o.jpg

Right, ive just put up a BNIB Ipod Nano (3rd gen) on ebay, its at £41 with 8 days to go, whatever the item goes for will be my budget for this camera, it looks like I will be going with a camera with a standard everyday prime 50mm lens on it, ive got an original Bessa folder on the way so I can tick the 'I have a folding camera' box so it looks like I will be going with one of these:

Canon AE1
Canon F1
Nikon FM2

Are there any Pentax cameras that are considered in that sort of range? I personally don't know how much the iPod will go for but whatever it does, thats the max amount (inc postage) I will have available to spend (simples) :D

You can check how much is in the pot here:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

ME super is quite nice, first Pentax I used ... K1000 for an older K mount ... MX is nice but dear ... LX if your feeling flush ... All K mount
then of course there are all the spotmatics for m42 ... I had an F once, it was nice, but didnt work :/

I will add the Pentax K1000 to the list, it seems that looking at some details on it the K1000 is a good camera to start on as its all manual where the photographer has to work out what is needed vs pressing a button and it auto focuses to what the camera thinks you want. What are K mount lenses like to buy though? It does seem that they do M42 adaptors to fit the K mount lenses which would be useful going forward. I see what you mean about the 'LX if you're feeling flush' ive just found the below LX gold which is gold plated with what I am guessing is crocodile skin grips lol

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/Pentax_LX_Gold/index1.htm

PentaxLX_gold_Xa.jpg

K mount and m42 have the same flange back distance so aren't entirely compatible

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of k mount lenses about but it is a Pentax mount ... M42 is more universal

- - - Updated - - -

You want find AF on any cameras of this type really ... AF cameras for the most part are plastic (or plastic coated)

- - - Updated - - -

That LX is very ugly!

K mount and m42 have the same flange back distance so aren't entirely compatible

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of k mount lenses about but it is a Pentax mount ... M42 is more universal

- - - Updated - - -

You want find AF on any cameras of this type really ... AF cameras for the most part are plastic (or plastic coated)

- - - Updated - - -

That LX is very ugly!

Ive seen a few adaptors for the K mount to M42, they don't seem too much, just depends on what lens I am after I guess, im just going for an 'everyday' 50mm prime lens, nothing fancy at the moment, just need to shoot a few reels to get used to it really.

Good, im aiming for a non AF camera (less to go wrong) :p

I didn't say it was pretty, but its not like Holga would gold plate any of their cameras...

Yes, you can adapt one to the other, but that doesn't mean they are compatible ... Have a look out for article on "flange back distance" I'm going to do soon!

Hmm im beginning to warm to a Pentax K1000, as its a student/learner camera and there seems to be a few packages setup that ive found to cater for someone like myself who is after an all manual camera to learn on:

Used Pentax K1000 35mm SLR Student GCSE / A Level Photography Camera

This online store also does student kits with various lenses and bags etc

Studentphotostore - Pentax K1000 35mm SLR Student GCSE / A Level Photography Camera

It seems that the store also reconditions everything by giving everything a clean and service along with changing the light seals.

I could just go with that cheapest K1000 with lens they do (which is £79 with a basic lens) and then buy another lens as an upgrade once I have got used to it a bit more.

Just having a read up on some of the reviews on it, it sounds perfect, there will be lots of lens choices due to the number of cameras sold and the fact its a student camera, there is even a K1000 with a Pentax F2 lens AND a fisheye lens for only £139. The basic Canon A or Nikon F2 bodies cost more than a complete Pentax with lens, so I might go with the K1000 for its simplicity and value for money for what you get, then upgrade to a Canon or Nikon once I decide which format I like the most - ie 35mm vs MF

Whatever camera I get I will give a full review on from a 'newbie' standpoint, like I have done with modding a 120 film :)

Pentax K1000 (1976-1997)

That site compares the K1000 to the Canon and Nikon cameras you guys have suggested, it seems that the K1000 is the amateur equivilent of the cameras (the Canon and Nikon being pro cameras). Plus the meter seems to be pretty good, but thats the only 'help' the camera offers, everything else is manual and simple to use, I can see why this is a good learning camera!

Good news, my friend said that she has an old 35mm SLR laying around in a hard case, unsure of the make but apparently it looked like a Pentax K1000 or a Canon AE1, so will see what it is when she digs it out lol could then put the iPod money towards either development costs, more film, a lens, another accessory or maybe a light meter

That is good news! Let me know what it turns out to be ... If its got Pentax LX written on it and is gold it's worthless and you are best sending it to me for disposal ;)

That is good news! Let me know what it turns out to be ... If its got Pentax LX written on it and is gold it's worthless and you are best sending it to me for disposal ;)

Ok :D you never know, it might be a rubbish old german camera like a Leica *blows dust off it* oh its a model 0 prototype :D

Can you imagine finding one of those in a box of old stuff...
The episode of only fools and horses where they go to the auction with the watch springs to mind :)

Back