Recommend me some film...

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Apart from when I shoot black and white film I have a terrible habit of just chucking whatever comes to hand into the camera.
B&W choice was always ilford hp5 or delta when I wanted something fast

As for colour, I have no idea!
Chris has recommended Fuji 'reala' as he suggests it scans well...
But does it have specific properties/attributes to the results?

What else would be good? and what to expect from the results?
Still available new is probably the best way to go with this ...

I'd like to find a standard, I'm going to standardise my dev with Joan, so if I do te same with the film it will make my results a little more telling of the cameras for my little camera write ups ...

depends what your shooting.

for colur c41 process:

FUJI:

Fuji Reala - good film with good colour reproduction, extra cyan layers help in colour tone. (100 iso)
Fuji 160s - Good film for Landscapes, and scans superbly well. (160 iso)
Fuji 400h - good for portraits and indoor/low light . (400 iso)

all above films scan very well.

Kodak:

i used to rate 160 VC for landscapes, but not recently, not sure if change with the film stock or something i am doing wrong but dont like the results.

Ekta 100 - a nice film but very blue to me, needs correcting at time of scanning. It is a 100 iso film but if you rate at 64 iso you get much nicer results which needs less alteration for scanning /during scanning.

SLIDE - E6:

I am a stickler for 1 film here which is Fuji Velvia 50, it is lovely and has done me well on all my landscape shots, bit of a bugger to use for macro and low light tho ;/

thats my thoughts on the matter, and yes they are heavily biased towards fuji as i can get all of them with no problem, i can also get all dev'd without any hassle either, but that might be as i am a fuji camera and film stockist with a fuji lab behind me as i type :)

Although I have some in the fridge in Germany still, I rarely shoot colour film any more (I keep that for digital) but would go for Kodak Portra if I did. For B&W I almost always use Ilford Delta (either 400 or 100) but if I want to push something I use HP5 (rarely use it at its nominal ISO). Sheet film is usually Delta 100 (occasionally FP4 - depends on availability). My friend in Stockholm (10 x 8") only shoots on Tri-X. I've dabbled with it (and like the tonality a lot) but usually go back to Ilford because I have so much experience with it.

Back in the day when I was scanning, home scanners had issue with the extra density of slide film - I suspect this would no longer be an issue as you're having it pro scanned.

So my choice was to use colour neg film - and I found that Reala gave excellent colour, with a small grain size, which scanned really well. Kodak at that time always came up grainy on the scans, even the same ISO as the Fuji.

Here's one scan I found from my Reala days - EOS5 with Fuji Reala 100

Luxor.jpg

Back