Critique Welcomed Remote house in Wales

There’s a play by Luigi Pirandello called “Six Characters in Search of an Author”, the title of which came to mind after viewing the photo and then reading your comments below the image, Stevenson. The six characters in the play try to find an author to fill out their life stories, they don’t know who they are, or why they are together - obviously a metaphor for the human condition. Substitute the characters in the play for the elements in your photo: the road, the sky, the trees, the fence, the house, the road sign…it’s like they are all looking for a reason for being there, looking for the photographer (author) to supply the story, the context, the reason for them all being there in one image. The lack of a story might be why you are dissatisfied with it? What do you think?

There’s a play by Luigi Pirandello called “Six Characters in Search of an Author”, the title of which came to mind after viewing the photo and then reading your comments below the image, Stevenson. The six characters in the play try to find an author to fill out their life stories, they don’t know who they are, or why they are together - obviously a metaphor for the human condition. Substitute the characters in the play for the elements in your photo: the road, the sky, the trees, the fence, the house, the road sign…it’s like they are all looking for a reason for being there, looking for the photographer (author) to supply the story, the context, the reason for them all being there in one image. The lack of a story might be why you are dissatisfied with it? What do you think?
Thanks Rob! I think you've got something there. It's oddly similar in some ways to the plot of the film Peter mentioned above. I think it was the loneliness that I felt was worth a photo... yet I think you're also right that it's the lack of a story that makes the image less appealing.

Very interesting thoughts everyone - keep them coming! ;)

Taking a picture of a scene that means something to you, or triggers emotions you feel, is one thing. Finding a way to be expressive in photography is another. First, what does it mean, to be expressive? And then how do we channel that through something physical like a guitar or a camera? These are difficult questions, and I am also seeking an answer to each. I do believe, or want to believe, that if we keep asking the right questions, one day we might find right answers. But it's not a given. And that is what makes art, music, writing, philosophy, etc, so necessary and challenging. If you find the answers, Stevenson, do let us know! ☺️

Back