Parliament House, Canberra

Stevenson Gawen

Yesterday was Australia Day here, one of our national holidays.
I decided it would be a good day to visit the seat of our national government in Canberra as I hadn't been inside since... um... high school age I think!
And I only live 2 hours drive away...🤷‍♂️

I did wonder if there'd be any disturbance as there's a fair bit of controversy over Australia Day at present, as the date commemorates the arrival of Europeans to the continent.
As one can imagine given our history, Australia's indigenous population doesn't view that particular date as a cause for celebration - while other groups are firmly attached to it. It's a bit of a tricky subject at present. I can kind of understand and respect both sides... so I'm not much help.

Anyway, turned out to be very peaceful when I was there, which I was glad of.*
Had a good time exploring pretty much all the areas open to the public.
I really like this building actually. Perhaps some submerged patriotism plays a role too. ;) It's quite impressive without being showy if that makes sense. There's lovely wood and stone sourced from different parts of the country making up a lot of the interior.

DSC_7582.jpg
Outside the main entrance forecourt

DSC_7770.jpg
In the forecourt

DSC_7605.jpg
Play of light and shadow on one of the two marble staircases in the Marble Foyer

DSC_7625.jpg
Looking across the Marble Foyer - one of the staircases just visible at left.

DSC_7646.jpg
Chairs

DSC_7648.jpg
Visitors in the Great Hall

DSC_7667.jpg
Time exposure in the Great Hall

DSC_7678.jpg

The Big Picture by Tom Roberts in the Committee Room Foyer

DSC_7744.jpg
In the House of Representatives

DSC_7720.jpg
Light and shadow on the Roof, looking South-West

*I found out afterwards that an Invasion Day protest had indeed taken place earlier in the day.
Not sure if I'm glad or sorry that I missed it! I don't like crowds but there could have been some interesting moments to capture too.

Last edited:
VERY nice documenting. I visited in 1990 just 2 years after its opening, when I was a NZ tourist visiting Australia. On a more recent visit to Canberra, the post 9/11 security meant to walking on the grass onto the roof was allowed. Is that now permitted once more? What I like about that is the symbolism - the people get to walk over the top of the politicians - indeed, it was part of the architectural design.
The architecture is also magnificently done in many, many ways: 5 buildings interlinked with passageways both above and below ground.
Regarding the date and name of a public holiday as a National Day - I am of the opinion that it should definitely be moved from January 26. However the most fitting day is already a Public Holiday - January 1. The various territories were proclaimed to be the Commonwealth of Australia on 1 January 1901. I remember sounding the church bell at 1pm (AEDT) i.e. 12 noon (AEST) on the centenary in 2001. All bells were to be rung for 10 minutes - I took it in turns with my then wife to pull the bell rope. (St John's Lutheran in Wangaratta, VIC, if you are interested). Another date? Given other public holidays, such as Easter, ANZAC Day, Labour Day, and the prevailing weather in Southern states during the winter, late in the year makes sense, but then you also run into Melbourne Cup Day. Maybe something like 25 November.
What to call it? Another vexed issue. If using an indigenous name, which of the many languages?

Thanks! :). I must confess I wasn't aware of the symbolism intended with walking on the roof - I like that.
I should probably brush up on my history!
One's allowed on the roof now, but you can only get there via the lift - there's rather nicely made discreet 'fencing' both preventing access from outside and keeping you to the central part of the roof. Still a nice bit of grass within that though.
And yes, the whole design is terrific.

I agree about changing the day - it seems the definite best option, although (unavoidably!) not everyone will be happy.
It'll be interesting to see how/when it happens!
Thanks for the info on the Centenary too. I was only 8 years old then...

Thanks @Gianluca Drago! That's great to hear.

It's interesting, both you and @Martin Scharnke referred to my efforts as reportage/documenting.
I'm flattered, tbh, and interested, as I wasn't really setting out to record anything as such -I was just doing the same as I always do... look around and make images of whatever (a) looks nice, (b) has something to (hopefully!) elevate from the common 'snap', and 'C', if possible has some kind of story to it.

Does that make me a documentary photographer?
I don't know.
Maybe I should become a photojournalist. But that is probably different again...?

Well, if "documentary photography is a style of photography that provides a straightforward and accurate representation of people, places, objects and events" (see: Tate's art term definition ), then you are a documentary photographer. This is not to say that when you shoot you are not somehow looking for an artistic composition or at least something that gives you aesthetic pleasure or a personal memory to preserve. A photojournalist maybe you are not.

I love the minimalism of "Chairs".
At the risk of sparking another discussion, if you like to spin a story around your photos (as I do too) perhaps that makes you a photo-essayist.

Glad you like the chairs - they caught my eye!
if you like to spin a story around your photos (as I do too) perhaps that makes you a photo-essayist.
Mm... not sure really! I'm not the best with words in some ways.

@Martin Scharnke, here's a photo from the roof, looking towards the War Memorial. You can see the fencing separating this area from the slopes outside. And plenty of smartphone-ography going on. :)

Slightly squiffy panorama.
DSC_7703_stitch_04.jpg

Yesterday was Australia Day here, one of our national holidays.
I decided it would be a good day to visit the seat of our national government in Canberra as I hadn't been inside since... um... high school age I think!
And I only live 2 hours drive away...🤷‍♂️

I did wonder if there'd be any disturbance as there's a fair bit of controversy over Australia Day at present, as the date commemorates the arrival of Europeans to the continent.
As one can imagine given our history, Australia's indigenous population doesn't view that particular date as a cause for celebration - while other groups are firmly attached to it. It's a bit of a tricky subject at present. I can kind of understand and respect both sides... so I'm not much help.

Anyway, turned out to be very peaceful when I was there, which I was glad of.*
Had a good time exploring pretty much all the areas open to the public.
I really like this building actually. Perhaps some submerged patriotism plays a role too. ;) It's quite impressive without being showy if that makes sense. There's lovely wood and stone sourced from different parts of the country making up a lot of the interior.

View attachment 18590
Outside the main entrance forecourt

View attachment 18600
In the forecourt

View attachment 18591
Play of light and shadow on one of the two marble staircases in the Marble Foyer

View attachment 18592
Looking across the Marble Foyer - one of the staircases just visible at left.

View attachment 18593
Chairs

View attachment 18594
Visitors in the Great Hall

View attachment 18595
Time exposure in the Great Hall

View attachment 18596

The Big Picture by Tom Roberts in the Committee Room Foyer

View attachment 18597
In the House of Representatives

View attachment 18599
Light and shadow on the Roof, looking South-West

*I found out afterwards that an Invasion Day protest had indeed taken place earlier in the day.
Not sure if I'm glad or sorry that I missed it! I don't like crowds but there could have been some interesting moments to capture too.
Great, well done.

Back