Ring Flash

There's been quite a lot of discussion of late about ring flash and ring lights. A ring flash is an electronic flash tube that is positioned such that it surrounds the lens and is intended to illuminate the subject without creating shadows. A ring light is normally employed to do the same thing but has a continuous source of light. Some of the latter are used away from the camera as well, as an equivalent to a circular light and emerged from videography. They have either a fluorescent tube or an array of LEDs (like Dan's DIY unit - http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/man-down-so-man-build.16847/). The fluorescent tubes tend to have a more balanced spectrum of light whereas LEDs can be very peaky in their output frequency. Some have a mix of LED types to compensate for this. The flash units are of course daylight balanced. There are also a number of flash adapters that take the output from either a hot-shoe mounted speed-light or a studio monoblock and create a circular light surrounding the lens using internal reflectors (e.g. RayLight adapter and the Bowens' Ring Lite adapter).

There are basically two types of ring-flash, small electronic units intended for use in macro-photography and large studio heads used in fashion and portraiture (and some technical applications especially where a LF camera is employed). They are very different in size and output and this is illustrated below. On the left is a self-contained macro ring-flash from Sunpak (with a Nikon F shoe fitting) and on the right is a Bowens studio ring-flash intended for use with a studio generator (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/studio-flash-generators.16925/) - there are also monoblock variants from other manufacturers. The output of the two units is vastly different and the smaller unit is OK for 35mm and DSLRs and some medium format cameras but struggles on a LF camera. The studio unit has 2 semi-circular flash tubes and they are driven from two 1.5KJ outlets on a generator, hence the two connectors. The difference in price between the two types is significant! And it is the high price of the latter that has driven Bowens to create their adapter, but this still limits them to the studio in most cases. However, the speed-light adapters, although they do not quite reproduce the classic ring-flash effect, can be used anywhere. As always, which system is best depends on your needs.

Flash-3_zpsb7515c13.jpg~original

Flash-4_zpscb1922a2.jpg~original

Wow!! Nice write up Pete.

I've basically decided now that I'm going to build a beauty dish too now. :):)
I can pick up a Cowboy Softbox bracket for about £20.
A few hours aligning, drilling, spray painting, and screwing a mixing bowl and a small pizza pan together, and there you have! A beauty dish!
To be continued.......

The DIY LED ring light is good to an extent and most certainly a great time passer, but after a few thoughts considered, it's not really mobile and doesn't produce a great amount of light.
As Pete has mentioned the frequency is sometimes peaky therefore does not allow you to shoot around or above 1/250th.
Shooting at those speeds directly into the LEDs (or even the subject) can be very noticeable and give you an understanding about the limitations of some LEDs. Solution? Shoot a slower speed :)
But it's a great learning curve an clear why people spend money on the real deal. I've gained a few blisters applying 120 bulbs and zipping up 120 heavy duty cable ties! :):)

Before I dismantle the contraption and turn the lights into an added decorative feature for the kids rooms.... I'll keep hold of it for now until my beauty dish is made. :)

So Pete, what can you tell me about beauty dishes ;)

Sold that one Pete....
Into the workshop it is ;)

Sorry! Similar but much, much softer effect than a ring flash. You get a wrap around light look but much greater drop-off front to back. Much more natural catch light if you use the central shield. I have no experience with them on anything other than a studio flash though. I head back to the UK tomorrow but I will try to do a comparison next time I'm back. In many ways I guess they are less 'tricksy' (ring flash is a bit obvious for portraiture etc) and more natural.

Always wanted something like this to have a play with!

Love those portraits where they use them, and you can see the ring of light in the eye

Back