Ringside Seat for the Big Fight

Is that one of those caged-animal fights? Banned in the UK, I think.

Nice to see women outnumbering men in a bar...

Good one, Brian.
Yeah that's one of those fights, Rob. I do not watch them. Most distasteful in my opinion.

Thanks, Rob. (The McKillop does an nice job of available light black and white indoor shots hand held.)

Nice capture. I thought the Merrils were supposed to have really bad noise at anything from ISO 800 on up. That doesn't look bad, at all.

Nice shot Brian was this the McGregor fight. I'm not into it myself prefer Queensbury Rules but in Ireland everyone goes on about him. Ha ha that might shut them up he got beat.

John, only in colour. In b&w, you are good for up to 6400.
That makes sense. I seem to remember reading that the out-of-camera b&w only uses one color channel, so that would have a lot less noise than a color image, which records 3x as much data.

Nice shot Brian was this the McGregor fight. I'm not into it myself prefer Queensbury Rules but in Ireland everyone goes on about him. Ha ha that might shut them up he got beat.
No not the McGregor fight, Martin. I saw him interviewed after his loss. Rather a lot of humility on display.

I like your bar-room images (you must have enough for a substantial-size book by now! ;) ) and this is no exception. So, do they only let the last bar-person standing out of the serving area at the end of the night?
Thanks, Pete. And yes,...last man or woman standing.

My eyes goes to the man with the Huron haircut as well as other characters, but not so much to the monitor. Very interesting image indeed.

That makes sense. I seem to remember reading that the out-of-camera b&w only uses one color channel, so that would have a lot less noise than a color image, which records 3x as much data.
John as your aware the Foveon sensor is made of three layers. In some respects often referred too as the Blue Red and Green layers, although that very much simplifies. The layer all record Luminance essentially with each layer being more responsible than others to record the RGB quantities. The materials of the upper layers do effect the availability, quality and amount of luminance capture of the layers beneath and there for the greater amplification needed to boost the captures of the lower levels to be of equal measure to the upper and top layer. Hence the noise generated via heat and the such, as these camera chuckle gurgle and do all sorts as you wait and tap your feet. ( although you can shoot seven raw shots off before the buffers full)
I know the Quattro's attempt to get around or at least improve the noise levels is to have less information being used from the lower levels by making them smaller in number of pixels and therefore less amplification needed. The Foveon sensors prior to the Quattro shooting in B+W Mode in Jpeg still produces an RGB Jpeg file and a lot of noise. I have not got a Quattro but as far as I am aware this has not changed. To get a high iso noise free image from the Foveon sensor you need to shoot in Raw and in the Sigma raw converter it has a B+W mode which enables you via a colour wheel to choose the Luminance data from each of the Layers be it Top Middle or Bottom layer. The top layer often referred to as the Blue layer has the least amplification applied to the captured information and is as noise free as any sensor. Being able to use the Luminance from that layer is much like how a Monochrome camera works.:)

Like I said, phu, on second thought... Very good Julian, that explanation was so informative that It scared the little wits I have left, straight out of my scull box.:rolleyes:

...I have not got a Quattro but as far as I am aware this has not changed. To get a high iso noise free image from the Foveon sensor you need to shoot in Raw and in the Sigma raw converter it has a B+W mode which enables you via a colour wheel to choose the Luminance data from each of the Layers be it Top Middle or Bottom layer. The top layer often referred to as the Blue layer has the least amplification applied to the captured information and is as noise free as any sensor. Being able to use the Luminance from that layer is much like how a Monochrome camera works.:)
So, basically, although greatly simplified and lacking in technical accuracy, I got it right. :)

Back